Sunday, February 26, 2017

Creative Slumps and Letting Yourself Re-Read aka Updates

Hi all! Long time no see...read...whatever the case may be. It's been quite a while and by that I mean almost half a year. Apparently time flies when you're trying to figure things out. (Remembering to insert vaguely appropriate gif here)


Ah yes, just like riding a bike as they always say. The last time you heard from me, I was dealing with a rather difficult reading slump, but I was quite optimistic. Who knew that the reading slump was really more like a creative slump. See, bringing it back to the title 😊 Blogger really hasn't changed, but boy have I.

Sometime in September, I just started feeling burnt out. I wasn't in the mood to write and I wasn't in the mood to read. It took me a while to get over the guilt of not getting to my TBR pile and not writing all of those posts that I'd scheduled. I, instead, realized that my need to document every bit of reading sucked all of the fun out of it. I love how the internet has made people's love of reading into a community, but at the same time, it kind of breeds this mentality that you need to keep up with the latest bestseller. It's not about the quality of the books that you read, but the quantity. It's not about building a discussion around the books you enjoyed, but reviewing as many as possible.

It got to the point where my opinions of books that I didn't like came off a bit more vitriolic than I'd have liked because in my mind, I saw reading that book as a waste of my time. I got sucked into that nasty reading habit and it's taken me this long to figure it out.

Hermione side-eye to myself
Just within the past of couple of weeks, I sat down with my book collection to do the yearly culling of books I've bought but have no desire to keep, and I came across The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. For well over a year, I kept telling myself that I wanted to re-read that book and that day, I just sat down and re-read it. Nevermind that my bedroom floor was scattered with books. Granted, that decision mean't that I got to the end of the book at like 3am and was trying to quietly sob into my pillow over the ending. Don't judge. I dare you to read that book and not cry.

Anyway, I felt like I was reading for myself for the first time in a long time. The next day, I picked out some of my favorite books from my collection and just started reading. Did you know that the last time I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte all the way through was in high school? As in, the last time I read my favorite book was well over 4 years ago.

Funny. I made up my mind to start re-reading all of my favorite books and Goodreads was like: "I got chu!!" They finally enabled it so you can track all of the times you've re-read books. Can we all say this was well overdue.


I've been reading just as much, if not more than I was before the reading slump and I've had the urge to blog again. Rather than browsing lists of the most anticipated releases in my favorite genres, I've been looking back at all of the books I've loved and buying those I don't already own. I may have just put an order in today and I can't wait to re-read all of them. I mean, what's the point of having a book collection if you don't take the time to revisit all of those books that had a hand in shaping the person you are today? 

I'm now more certain about how my reading habits are going to shape up for the next portion of the year, so I want to direct content here in the same fashion. I won't be continuing on with monthly TBRs or wrap-ups for the time being. That being said, I'm finally getting back some of that creativity I lost months ago and I'm going to see where that takes me. That includes resuming some of my blog series that got lost in the shuffle. Until then, I think it's time to dig around this blog and do a bit of formatting updates...or maybe do some more re-reading. Who knows?!