Friday, September 9, 2016

New and Used Book Haul: August and September 2016!

Hello readers and welcome back to another better late than never post this September. As you may already know, I've been going through one of the worst reading slumps I've experienced in a while. With this slump comes the urge to just veg out on the couch and do nothing productive, like write blog posts.

Naturally, the most illogical decision to make when you are experiencing a huge urge to do anything besides reading is to go book shopping of course. As if I don't already own too many books. This time, I decided to save my wallet and buy the bulk of my books used. A couple of weekends back, I made my way to the local Salvation Army to find some great used books. Then a week after that, I ordered a few books from Amazon and then rounded everything out by buying some books from Barnes and Noble. I have a book hoarding problem.

Anyway, time for me to share what books I bought during the past month.


A few of these books may seem familiar and that's because they are! If I happen to read a really great book on my tablet, I have to own a physical copy of the book. That means some of these will go straight into my book collection, while others will make it to my ever increasing TBR pile. 


The first half of the books, which I included above, are the used books that I picked up at the Salvation Army. Usually buying books there can be a hit or miss experience. This time it felt like someone with my similar taste in books donated a bunch. 

The first book is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle and it's one that I've been meaning to read for the longest time. After that is another classic to add to my stack, The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I've only read a few of his short stories, so I'm interested to read one of his full length novels. Next, is Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl. I actually already own a copy of this book, but for a while I've been meaning to replace it. I wasn't so kind to my books when I was younger and the copy I currently own has a ripped and torn cover. After that is Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding, which was an impulse buy if there ever was one. I remember watching the movie and enjoying it, so I figured why not read the book.

Vampire Academy and Frostbite are the first two books in the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. Despite the fact that it is one of my favorite series, I didn't actually own these two. Many of you may know that I occasionally like to read a nonfiction book and one of my favorite nonfiction writers is Erik Larson. He takes historical events or true stories and molds them into a book that's just as exciting to read as a fiction novel. When I saw Thunderstruck, which happens to be one of his books that I haven't read, I needed to own it. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson was another classic to add to my TBR pile. 

I snatched up Rules of Civility by Amor Towles purely because it is set in the 1920s, which is not a great reason to get a book, but meh. Then when I saw Ready Player One by Ernest Cline at the Salvation Army, I almost did a happy dance in the store. I was THIS CLOSE to buying this book at full price when I was at Barnes and Noble. It's a fantastic book that I've reviewed on this blog and I highly recommend it. Last but not least of the used books is Postern of Fate by Agatha Christie. Christie is one of my favorite authors and I've read so many of her books. The problem that I'm running into now is that I have no idea what books I haven't read when I go book shopping. I don't even know if I've read this book. I really should make a list of the books I still need to read.


Now on to the new books that I purchased! The first is a book that I've been meaning to buy for a long time. Like many others, I consider myself a Jane Austen fan, but I've only read her main novels. I haven't spent any time exploring her other writings. This book is a small bind up of Lady Susan, The Watsons, and Sandition. The next book is one that I knew I shouldn't have bought, but I couldn't resist. In one of my past wrap-up posts, I reviewed The Familiar, Volume 1: One Rainy Day in May by Mark Z. Danielewski and I went on a long discussion about how I was wary that his books were all form and no substance. I made up my mind not to continue on with that series. Rather than leaving it there, I scanned over his section at my local Barnes and Noble and found Only Revolutions. Again it's a book with a unique format and I'm hoping the story shines through the form like House of Leaves

Apparently, I don't own enough classics so I bought volume two of The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, even though I haven't read the first volume yet. I have a problem. Next, I bought a physical copy of one of my favorite books of all time, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I love this book and I highly recommend it if you were not made to read it in school.

A couple of weeks ago, I was on Goodreads looking for new books to read that I hadn't heard about yet, and I came across a list someone made of books that have unique formats or narratives. Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente was one of them. I did read her middle grade book, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, and found it to be an average read. I figured why not explore some more of her writing.

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix is another book that I first read on my tablet and throughout the reading experience, I wished that I had bought the physical copy. This book is formatted to look like an IKEA catalog and is one of the best horror stories I've read in a long time. The last book in my giant stack is The Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt - Edited by Helen Strudwick. I've always loved learning about Ancient Egypt, so when I came across this huge book in the bargain section at Barnes and Noble, I snatched it right up.
~~~~~~~~
Those are all of the books that I've bought during August and the beginning of September. I hoping that some of these books will tempt me enough to get out of this reading slump. I've managed to do some reading this month, so I'm optimistic. For those wondering, my August Wrap-Up post is on its way! I've started putting together the formatting, but I'm desperately waiting for the motivation to review everything. I will probably mention this again in that post, but I will not be releasing a September TBR post. I don't want to plan or promise to read anything this month because I feel like that would only increase the severity of the slump. I just want take my time and read whatever I'm craving in the moment. In the meantime, happy reading!!