Sunday, August 7, 2016

August 2016 TBR

Hello readers and welcome back to another monthly post. Now is about the time to share with you the books that I plan to read during August. Or in the case of this month, what books I might have already read. What can I say. Sometimes I'd rather procrastinate on these posts and get a jump start on the new month. After having such a fantastic reading streak last month, I'm hoping to keep the trend up.
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne
 You had to know that the new Harry Potter book would be on the list. I was so excited to read it that I finished it a few hours after my pre-order copy came in the mail. Just in case you haven't heard about this, it isn't the eighth Harry Potter book. You'll be sorely disappointed going into the reading experience if you think that's the case. This is the script of the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play currently showing in London. The script was not solely written by J.K Rowling, but I'm pretty sure with her name on it, it has her canonical stamp of approval. This play picks up right where the last Harry Potter book ended, with Harry's son Albus heading off for his first year at Hogwarts.

I can't wait to share my thoughts about this book with you!!





  • My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem
 I've been in a huge nonfiction mood lately and this month is no different. In fact, the urge to read nonfiction was so strong that I've already finished this book too. As the title suggests, this book is made up of Gloria Steinem's experiences traveling as a writer and activist. She reveals moments from her life as well as encounters with other influential people.












  • The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

For those of you who follow my Goodreads, you know that I've also started reading this book. In order to prevent a book slump, I've just been book hopping when I feel a sense of boredom creep in. The Eyre Affair has been on my TBR list for ages and ages, so I figured now was as good as any time to read it.

This book takes place in an alternate time in Britain circa 1985. In this setting, time travel is a reality and people love to forge great works of literature. The story focuses on Tuesday Next, a special operative in the literary detection division. Apparently, the plot is about someone who kidnaps characters from stories. I'm excited to see what the author does with this premise.






  • This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
Finally!!! Another Victoria Schwab book has been released and I'm so ready for some awesome reading. She is the one author that has consistently released stories with amazing worlds and characters.

In this book, the world is split between humans and the monsters that prey on them. This Savage Song has a dual narrative, with half of the focus on Kate Harker, the daughter of a man that provides protection to humans at a cost, and August Flynn, a monster desperately wishing to have a normal, human life.

While I'm not 100% sure this is true, I've heard rumors that this story has no romance and you have no idea how happy I am about that.




  • The Awakening by Kate Chopin
 Now it's time for the classic pick of the month. I've really been into reading books lately that deal with social class as well as women's traditional gender roles. I never read The Awakening in any of my English or Women's Studies courses in college, so I figured now was the time to do just that. The plot focuses on Edna Pontellier, a woman who struggles with the expectations of her role as wife and mother.












Those are all of the books that I plan to read in August. I think it's a nice mix of recent releases and well as books that have been lounging in my TBR pile for far too long. Now time to get back to reading!