Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Summer Read-a-thon 2016: Day 3

Hello readers! Another day in the read-a-thon has come and gone and now I'm exhausted after a solid ten hours at work. Why do holidays like this have to end with fireworks, sheer stupidity, real fires, and lack of sleep the next day?!


Regardless, I am here and ready to talk to you about how Day 3 of the challenge went. Just a side note before then: The updates on Days 4 and 5 of the challenge will be published the following night like today. Sadly, I'm forced out of my night owl tendencies during the work week.

To start out with, after reading a nonfiction book and that wonderful piece of 90's literature, I was in the mood for some light reading. You all know what that means: YA Contemporary. I scanned through my TBR collection and grabbed the first piece of YA Contemporary Romance fluff. That turned out to be My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick. 


The book focuses on two families that live next door to each other. The Reeds are a quiet, small family, which includes our protagonist, Samantha. The Garretts, in comparison, are loud, messy, and have plenty of siblings to go around. Since Samantha just lives with her mother and sister, she envies the exciting life next door and watches them from afar. All of that changes when Sam meets the love interest of the story: Jase Garrett. She experiences first love and finally has an inside look at the life that goes on next door.

This was such a fun, easy read that I finished the entire book, which started my Day 3 total at 394 pages. Then I proceeded to enjoy the July 4th festivities and when I decided to pick another book, I literally could not make up my mind. I'm pretty sure I read the first four pages or so of three different books before I finally settled on one. I eventually made up my mind just to continue on with The Checquy Files Series and picked up the second book, Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley.


Stiletto reveals what happens when two rival organizations decide to form an alliance. The Checquy and the Grafters start to integrate under the guidance of Myfanwy Thomas, but old prejudices keep it from being a smooth merger. Now supernatural attacks start popping up all over London, threatening the survival of the public as well as both organizations. 

Before the end of the day, I managed to read 169 pages of the book, which brings my overall Day 3 total to 563 pages. That means it's time for me to break out the calculator in true humanities major fashion and tally up my overall challenge total.


So far I have read 1,496 pages during the Summer Read-a-thon 2016. Now I need to get off the computer and start doing some reading or else Day 4 will be mighty uneventful update. Goodbye!!