Monday, July 4, 2016

Summer Read-a-thon 2016: Day 2

Hello readers and welcome back to another late night post! Luckily, I'm not as groggy as last night, but that might be due to the fact that I ignored my alarm and woke up mid-afternoon. All I can say is I'm so glad tomorrow, or rather today since it's after midnight, is a national holiday in the U.S. I can't imagine forcing myself to go to bed in order to get up at the crack of dawn for work. I'll have that to look forward to later.


 Anyway, I think it's time to let you know what I managed to read today, despite sleeping the morning away and using the afternoon to clean. I picked up right where I left off last night and finished reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.


I spent the late afternoon reading about the impact that Henrietta's cells indirectly had on her descendants' lives and it's relationship to patients' rights to their own genetic material. The rest of the book totaled up to 223 pages.

After that I wasn't really sure what I wanted to read next. Again I took a look at my TBR pile and really wanted something easy to read. It just so happened that in my last book haul I grabbed some books from favorite childhood authors and one of those caught my eye. That book turned out to be Gimme a Kiss by Christopher Pike.


Oh the 90s! What a time to be alive and write books apparently. Would you look at that cover. I bet you're all dying to know what it's about. The story starts out with Jane, just your average high school girl. She gets decent grades, has good friends, and is in a happy relationship with her boyfriend. Everything changes when everybody at her school reads one of her juicer diary entries. Rather than brush the incident off, Jane sets her mind to revenge, the kind that might involve murder. 

Since this was a pretty small book, I finished it all on Day 2, which added 152 pages to my total. It was already midnight before I got the chance to move on to a different book, so that's all I read this day. That means the complete total for Day 2 is 375 pages. Now time to reveal the running page total for the challenge.


 So far I've read 933 pages during the Summer Read-a-thon 2016. Now I think it's time for me to decide what to read next. I think all book lovers know what a hard decision that will be.