Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 2016 TBR

Hello readers and welcome to another summer month with the potential for some sunny weekends and great books. While I hug my box fan and curse the day I decided to buy a black laptop, I hope you enjoy the picks for my June TBR,

  • The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken


In the last couple of days in May, I wasn't sure what to start reading next, so I picked up The Darkest Minds on a whim. The story focuses on Ruby, a girl who lives in an America where children have been infected by a mysterious disease that gives them special abilities. The government decides to round up all of these children and places them in camps under strict supervision. Ruby escapes one of those camps and joins up with a group of other escapees. This book has a very interesting premise and I'm excited to see what the author does with it.









  • The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

I am a sucker for any book that takes place in or near a bookshop and this one fits that bill. The plot focuses on the owner of a floating bookshop, who knows just the right book to help someone. Turns out he isn't quite as good helping himself. After he finally reads the letter left by his last great love, he goes on what sounds like a journey of self discovery. I can't wait to start reading this.












  • The Woman Who Would Be King: Hatshepsut's Rise to Power in Ancient Egypt by Kara Cooney

Lately I've been feeling the itch to read some nonfiction and I've had this book in my TBR pile for quite a while now. One of my favorite subjects is Ancient Egyptian history. Whenever I can, I try to catch history channel specials on the subject and I even took an ancient near east course in college where I wrote a research paper on the status/roles of women in Ancient Egypt. In that paper, I touched on Hatshepsut's rule a little bit, but I've always wanted to read a complete nonfiction work about her. I decided that June would be that time.










  • Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales

 That's right. The classic pick of the month is a repeat from last month. For whatever reason, I wasn't in the mood to read this collection of stories. Whenever I tried to read, it felt like I was forcing myself in order to fulfill the TBR list and I didn't like that. I set the book aside for the rest of May and now I'm determined to finish Grimm's Complete Tales in June.













Those are all of the books that I plan to read in June. Now dear readers join me in the annual summer migration. Instead on reading inside, on the couch, with a mug of hot tea, we will read outside, on the porch swing, with a cup of iced tea. What an exciting life to lead.