Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Announcing the Summer Read-a-thon 2016!

Surprise! I bet you were expecting not to read another post from me until my June Wrap-Up somewhere in the middle of July, but I don't mind a little of the unexpected now and then. As I was brainstorming ideas for the coming summer months, dear readers, I came to the realization that I hadn't given much thought to my yearly summer reading challenge. When I was in college, I had the whole summer off and didn't really care when I decided to have the challenge. Well, now that I work 10 hours a day, four days a week, it's a little harder to devote a solid week to marathon reading.



Luckily, I have an extra long weekend to celebrate the Fourth of July, so I figured why not read then? For those new to the Summer Read-a-thon, it's basically a week in the summer where I try to read as many pages/as many books as possible within that time span. Every year it makes a dent in my massive TBR pile, which is always fantastic. Unlike the previous challenges, I won't be setting a page goal for myself. For a little while, I've been on the cusp of a reading slump and I'm hoping that this event will pull me off the precipice and back into my normal reading routine. I think the pressure of a goal would undermine everything.

As a result, I won't actually be releasing a TBR list for the month of July. I just want to read whatever strikes my fancy in the moment. I often find that the books I choose to read in the beginning of the month are not the books that I want to read later in the month. That being said, I will still release a June as well as a July wrap-up post. In fact, I'm procrastinating on starting the June post as we speak.


Now on to the details of the Summer Read-a-thon 2016. As stated above, the reading challenge will last a week and I would love it if you'd like to join me. The week will officially start this Friday, July 1st at 11:59 p.m. est and will run until the following Friday, July 8th at 11:59 p.m. est. Throughout the week, I will also be posting daily updates of my reading progress, including a running page count. 

This year has been a year of changes and I'm excited to see how the Summer Read-a-thon 2016 will turn out! Now I think it's time to assess my TBR pile and develop a game plan...and maybe get some sleep before another long day of work tomorrow.