Saturday, May 28, 2016

Penny's Music Recommendations: May 2016

Better later in the month than never, right? Well, welcome back my music aficionados to this monthly series where I share the songs that I've been listening to during the month in the hopes you will find a recommendation to expand your music taste. At the start, May seemed to be a slow month for music discovery, but as the days passed, I found my music groove again. Let's get started!
  • Warning Call by Chvrches

Hehe. I hope you didn't think I would let the release of a new Chvrches song pass by unmentioned did you? One night I was mindlessly scrolling through my twitter feed, as I'm sure many of you do, and what catches my eye but the announcement that night that Chvrches released an original song for the video game, Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I listened to the first 10 seconds and was hooked! It was like a gift from the synthpop gods, particularly since I've listened to Chvrches' album, Every Open Eye, to death. This song is refreshing, upbeat, and atmospheric. What else is there to say?
  • U-Turn by Tegan and Sara

May was also the month where I learned, to my immense shock and delight, that Tegan and Sara will be releasing their newest album, Love You To Death on June 3rd!!!!! U-Turn was the first single off of the album that I heard and I liked it immediately. All I can say is I'm expecting this to be a fantastic pop album. The sound is so upbeat and always puts me in a good mood when I hear it. This may very well be my summer jam.  
  • Stop Desire by Tegan and Sara
Yep. Another new Tegan and Sara song. I couldn't force myself to feature just one when I love them equally. Stop Desire is a song that caters right to my taste for upbeat sythpop. Again it makes me want to get right up and dance along...except I won't because it's so hot right now where I live that I'm sweating just sitting here. All I can say is June 3rd can't come soon enough.
  • Cruel by Foxes
 

Ever since I heard Foxes featured in Fall Out Boy's song, Just One Yesterday, I've had a passing interest in her music. When she released her new album, All I Need, I wasn't drawn to many of her songs, This newest release is probably my favorite off of the album. It blends her soulful voice with a pop beat that keeps it from being depressing. You can even head bob or dance along to it. 
  • Youth by Troye Sivan

Welcome, dear listeners, to my guilty pleasure listen of the month. I almost considered not putting this song on here, but everybody has that guilty pleasure earworm song. Just own up to it. So anybody that spends an average amount of time on YouTube probably has heard about Troye Sivan, his channel, and his music. When his name started to pop up in some of my favorite YouTubers' videos, I gave a couple of his songs a listen and found they weren't really to my taste. Then I heard this on the Top 40 radio station on my way home from work and found myself really enjoying it.

The lyrics aren't really groundbreaking, since I've heard about a billion and one songs about embracing your youth and young love. All I can say is props to the producers. They combined some amazing beats with Sivan's voice to make this the perfect song to jam along to.  
  • Message Man by Twenty One Pilots


I think I'm really starting to develop a Twenty One Pilots addiction. May has been the month of my affair with their album, Blurryface. At the beginning of the month, I decided to give the album another listen and realized that I liked almost all of the songs. Let's just say it was a chore narrowing down my choice to just one, but I did it. Message Man seems to epitomize their genre bending status. It has this weird reggae background sound and then you get these heavy, beat driven raps. It's a weird dichotomy, but I love it. I think this is going to be the month where I just give in and buy the whole album.

Those are all of the songs that I've been obsessed with this month. I hope you enjoyed this brief musical interlude and try to stay cool during the long Memorial Day weekend.