Sunday, May 15, 2016

Epic Used Book Haul - May 2016

Well hello again readers! It's been quite a long time since I've shared one of my book hauls with you, so I figure why not now. This past weekend there was a large library book sale going on in my area with very low prices, so I decided to stop by and see what they had. Cut to me filling up an entire box with books and only $20 poorer. These days you can't even get a decent hardcover book with that kind of money. Needless to say my planned TBR for this month might be completely out the window. Now to show you how epic this used book haul turned out to be.



Twenty-one books in all. I think I'm going to have to split this tower in half so you can get a better look at the books. Plus it will make it easier to talk about all of them.



  • Spenser's Faerie Queene and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: I decided to raid the classics section when I first got to the book sale and picked these two books up. I've never read Spenser's famous epic poem before, so I snatched up this old, annotated copy. As many of you know, I studied Arthurian Literature in college, so I knew I had to have this Penguin edition of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I already have a copy of this in one of my Norton anthologies, but I really wanted to have a separate edition.
  •  Daughters of Eve by Lois Duncan and Gimme A Kiss by Christopher Pike: Next I raided the chapter book/children's section and snapped up these two books. Duncan and Pike are two of my favorite authors and I read so many of their books in middle and high school. Now whenever I come across a book that I haven't read, I need to get it.
  • Nemesis and One, Two, Buckle My Shoe by Agatha Christie: I've made it no secret on my blog that one of my favorite authors of all time is Agatha Christie. It's gotten to the point that I've read and currently own so many of her books that I'm not sure what books I don't possess. Turns out I already own Nemesis, but that's ok. What's great is I haven't read One, Two, Buckle My Shoe and now all I need to do is get into a mystery reading mood.
  • Pourquoi pas Evans? (Why Didn't They Ask Evans?) by Agatha Christie: While looking around for any Christie books I needed for my collection, I came across this awesome French edition of Why Didn't They Ask Evans? Do I speak French? No. Did I buy this anyway? You bet!
  •  Emergency Room by Caroline B. Cooney: I decided to return to my middle school roots and bought a book that I haven't read by one of my favorite authors from when I was younger. Right now there is a pretty solid section of Cooney books in my collection.
  • Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo, and Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes: That's right. More classics! I think I'll have enough classic picks to last me for months to come. Each have been on my mental TBR list, particularly Don Quixote. I read bits of the story in Spanish while in high school and I've always wanted to finish reading it.  



Now for the second half of this book tower!!
  • Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson: While in the children's section, I decided to buy another one of my favorite books from my childhood. Truth be told, I love just about everything Ibbotson wrote and now I'm one book closer to owning every book she's published.
  • Ovid's Metamorphoses and Beloved by Toni Morrison: Again some more classics. This time I grabbed two books that I'm surprised I never studied in high school or college. Now that I've graduated and have more free time, it's time to fix that error.
  • Cardturner by Louis Sachar: I think everybody and their brother read Holes in elementary school. That includes me and I figured why not read something else that Sachar wrote.
  • Alice Adams by Booth Tarkington and Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray: Again with the classics. When I was hunting around in that section, I found these really great editions with only a slight bit of damage. I've always wanted to read Alice Adams because I love the movie adaption with Katharine Hepburn. I had no real impetus for buying Vanity Fair other than the fact that it's considered one of the classics everybody should read.
  •  The Fortune Hunter by Daisy Goodwin: I've been in the mood for a bit of historical fiction and romance lately and this fits the bill. It has some average ratings on Goodreads, so I'm excited to step out of the box for a bit.
  • The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton: I'm going to be honest. The cover of this book was what primarily caught my attention. For those that place stock in book awards, this won the Man Booker Prize in 2013. What I'm interested in is the mix of mystery and historical fiction. You can see there is trend in this book haul.
  • The Appearance of Annie Van Sinderen by Katherine Howe: Ever since I read and fell in love with The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Howe, I've actively sought out everything she's written. I'm hoping this will be a great literary follow-up.
  •  Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood: When I was in college, I took an independent study course where I read books that deal with women and the construction of utopias and dystopias. This was one of the books I considered reading, but the course ultimately went in a different direction. I obviously haven't forgotten about the book and now it's a part of my ever increasing TBR.

Whoa! Was that long enough or what? I think I've satisfied the urge to buy books for the month. Now I just need to ignore all of the new summer releases and start tackling this newly expanded TBR.