Sunday, April 3, 2016

April 2016 TBR

Another month gone dear readers and what a month it has been. It's actually felt like one of the longer months in the year, but I think the stress at work had more to do with that than anything. Anyway, April is upon us even though it just snowed where I live and I'm ready to move on to another crop of books. My hope is that my reading this month will be just as great as the last.

  • A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis

 I started reading this book in March, but for whatever reason the story didn't seem to grab me and I set it aside. I decided why not give it another try to see if I can finish it. A Madness So Discreet centers on Grace, a woman locked away in an asylum to hide the shame her pregnancy would bring to her family. Her life is transformed when she agrees to assist a doctor as his crime scene assistant. I'm curious to see how the story takes off considering the plot has been quite tame so far.











  • Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead
Gameboard of the Gods is the one Richelle Mead book/series that I haven't read. I'm not quite sure why either, but I figure it's about time to remedy that. This book is set in a dystopian future where our two main characters are thrown together to solve a couple of ritualistic murders. I'm just hoping the story doesn't fall into the usual ya dystopian cliches.













  • A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Grey


This book is a ya science fiction book in a world with multiple dimensions. Marguerite's parents create the device that allows people to travel across dimensions. Conflict starts when her parent's assistant kills her father. Now she has to chase the murderer across those dimensions. This sounds like it has the potential to be an action packed read and I'm looking forward to it.












  • To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway
Now on to the classic pick of the month. As a general rule, people who know me know that I'm not a huge fan of classic American Lit. It's just not my favorite genre. They also know that I'm not a fan of macho manly man writers. Also as a general rule, I'm not a fan of Hemingway. I read The Old Man and the Sea in high school and hated it. In college, I read a couple of his short stories and didn't really mind them as much.

Before I graduated, I mentioned my distaste for Hemingway offhand to one of my college professors and he insisted that I give the author another chance. Then he gave me his annotated copies of a couple of Hemingway's novels. I decided it was finally time to take his advice, so here I am. I don't know anything about this book and I want to keep it that way. I need to do as little as possible to discourage myself from reading it. All I can say is I'm ready to take on this new literary adventure.

I've decided to keep this list short again because aside from these books, I'm not sure what I want to read. I'm in the mood to read whatever strikes me in the moment. Now I think it's time to get to reviewing all of the books I read in March, that is if I can avoid the allure of another Gilmore Girls episode. I don't think that will happen though. Let's be honest.