Saturday, March 19, 2016

Penny's Music Recommendations: March 2016

Hello again music lovers! With my cutthroat game of Clue finished and my belly full of delicious sushi, I think now is the proper time to talk to you about the music I've been obsessed with in March. For whatever reason, March seemed to be the month of the music slump for me. I did discover some awesome new music, but I found myself turning to old favorites. Nevertheless, the new music I discovered is worth talking about, so here I am!
  • Run Or Hide by Run River North

I'm not a hundred percent sure where I first discovered this song, but I've loved it ever since. I'd never heard of this band before, but a quick search informs me that they are a Korean-American indie-folk rock band. Boy, was that genre a mouthful. Run or Hide is your classic indie song, At the beginning, the song has this mellow folk sound and before you know it, the lead singer adds a hard rock edge. Then the keyboard and violin sneak up on you. This is such a unique band and sound.

  • Somebody Else by The 1975


The 1975 is one of my favoite alternative rock bands and a couple of their songs have already been featured on a few of my recommendation lists. Somebody Else is one of those mellow slow jam songs. You don't want to get up and rave, but you won't be able to stop yourself from tapping your feet and swaying along to the beat. The synth, which doesn't become prominent until the end, gives the song a distinctly 80s feel too.
  • Midnight River by Vaults


Midnight River another one of those slow burn songs. I first heard it while going through one of Buzzfeed's monthly music lists. Vaults has this alternative pop/synth sound, which only gets better with the lead singer's soulful voice. I thought the words "Let go" would forever be tainted by that obnoxious Frozen song, but I guess this song proved me wrong. Even if you aren't a huge fan of Midnight River, it does have that earworm quality and you'll find yourself humming it at odd moments.  
  • The Sound by The 1975

 

That's right, another The 1975 song. The band just released their second studio album, I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It. Geesh, somebody seems to be taking their title cues from Fall Out Boy. The Sound is the third single off of the album and is one of their upbeat tracks. It has more of a pop feel to it than the band's other songs. One of these days I'll probably sit down and go through the whole album, so I might hazard a guess that they could be featured again in the near future.

Those are all of the newer songs that I've been listening to and would like to recommend. Here's to hoping that April will have some awesome song discoveries. In the meantime, stick around for more of my blabbering about books and such. It's what I do best :)