Friday, February 19, 2016

Penny's Music Recommendations: February 2016

It's time my music fanatics for another month of music recommendations and what a month it has been! For me it seems February was a time for continuing to fall in love with recently released albums as well as doing some exploring into the discographies of some of my favorite bands. Now that I've finally got myself on a decent exercise regimen (OOO So Adult. Much Wow) I have these songs playing in the background. That means the majority of this list will be upbeat, but with the indie flare you've come to expect. So let's get started!

  • Holding On To You be Twenty One Pilots


I bet you aren't surprised that Twenty One Pilots is on this list again. As you will quickly be able to tell, I decided to listen to more of their songs and fell in love with a couple of them that I overlooked in the past. As a general rule, I don't like hip hop. In fact that was the reason why I was originally put off by most of Twenty One Pilots' songs. That quickly changed. I gave Holding On To You a chance and found that I was attracted to the lyrics of the song more than the actual sound. Granted, the song has a nice beat that combines rock, pop, and hip hop. As recent college graduates like me will tell you, the year after college isn't that great. It's this awkward period of transition and I connected with these lyrics on a huge level: 
     You think twice about your life, it probably happens at night, right?
     Fight it, take the pain, ignite it,
     Tie a noose around your mind loose enough to breathe fine and tie it,
     To a tree, tell it, "You belong to me,
     This ain't a noose, this is a leash,
     And I have some news for you, you must obey me."
Whenever I get lost in my head this is the song to pull me out of it. Not to mention I love their commentary on modern music at the end of this song, which is something I wholeheartedly agree with:
     Lean with it, rock with it,
     When we gunna stop with it,
     Lyrics that mean nothing, we were gifted with thought,
     Is it time to move our feet to an introspective beat,
     It ain't the speakers that bump hearts, it's our hearts that make the beat.
You can't argue with that and I hope I've convinced you to listen to this song.
  • House of Memories by Panic! At The Disco

That's right. I am still listening to Panic! At The Disco's album, Death of A Bachelor. I love the entire album and you'll probably be hearing about more of their songs in the future. When I heard House of Memories, I knew it would be one of my favorites. It has the amazing pop rock sound I love from Panic! along with some interesting instrumental bits that have started to make their way into the band's sound. Brendon may be the only original band member left, but I love the music just the same.
  • Chewing Gum by Nina Nesbitt

Every once in a while Buzzfeed releases a list of song recommendations and I always spend some time listening to the ones I know fall right into my favorite genres. That day, Chewing Gum was the only song on that list that I liked. In the past, people have described Nina Nesbitt as being a more folk/pop artist, but I think Chewing Gum is the song that's going to launch her into mainstream pop. The song is, of course, catchy and has some really weird, but interesting backbeats going on. Not to mention the synth gives the right kind of upbeat tempo to make the lyrics pop. You almost forget that this is a song about refusing to get caught in a serious relationship.  
  • Work This Body by Walk The Moon
 
A couple of days ago I was listening to Walk The Moon's immensely popular song, Shut Up and Dance, and I had the biggest urge to listen to their recent album, Talking Is Hard, again, When I first listened to it I wasn't really feeling any of those songs. The second time around, I had lukewarm feelings about Work This Body, but when I found myself singing the song at work the next day, I made up my mind to fully embrace it. For those who've never heard of Walk The Moon, they are an alternative rock/synthpop band that have recently been releasing songs that you can't help but get up and dance to. Work This Body is now one of my favorite songs on my workout playlist. If you need a song to brighten up your mood, this is it.
  • Migraine by Twenty One Pilots

Migraine was another Twenty One Pilots song that I didn't like the first listen, but now I'm in love. I've listened to this song so many times that I actually have it memorized, which seemed unfeasible when I first heard it. I listen to this song when I'm working out, when I'm in the shower, when I'm just browsing on the internet. I even sing this song under my breath at work when the day starts to drag. This has to be one of the catchiest not quite rap/not quite hip hop songs that I've ever heard. Not to mention the lyrics are more sophisticated and well thought out than all the hip hop songs on top 40 radio. I may have to add a Twenty One Pilots t-shirt to my band t-shirt collection because this has now become one of my favorite bands and I want everyone to know it.

With that, those are the songs that I'm currently obsessed with and deserve some extra praise. Out of all of the months that I've been recommending music, this group of songs might be the hardest to move on from. Hopefully March will be just as music filled and exciting!