Monday, December 21, 2015

Tis The Season Book Tag

Hello readers and welcome back to another Christmas/holiday themed blog post! I'm hoping to squeeze in some last minute posts before the end of the year and it will be a nice weekly surprise to see what pops up here. It's been quite a long time since I've done a tag post, so I figure why not do one now that is centered around the holidays. As always the tag was not created by me, but the answers are all mine.

1. Do You Have a Favorite Winter Read?

You know. There really isn't one single book or series that I consistently read during the holiday season. As I mentioned in my December TBR post, I actually have this habit where every year in December, I try to read a ya contemporary novel that takes place during Christmas time. This year that book was My True Love Gave To Me: Twelve Holiday Stories. A couple of years ago it was Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle. I just love a nice fluffy, easy to read book during the holidays.

2. Find a Book with Blue on the Cover

For this question I could have chosen any number of the amazing books I've read this year, since the majority of them have some blue on the cover. I decided to go out of the box and choose a book from my past for a particular reason. This is that book.



Ninth Key by Meg Cabot. This is the second book in The Mediator series. I loved reading these books in middle school and now I can't stop thinking about them because Meg Cabot has decided to continue the series!! The books are about a girl named Suze who can see and speak to the dead. Most of these books are about the weird adventures she gets herself into while helping dead people with their unfinished business. Of course there is some romance thrown into the mix. A new novella will be released in January and the next full length book will be released in February. The anticipation is killing me.

3. Find a Book That You Would Use as a Star on Top of Your Christmas Tree

The book that I would use as the star at the top of my Christmas tree this year would be Winter by Marissa Meyer.



Now I know what you are thinking: "But Penny you haven't even read the book yet. Why would you put it at the top of your tree." Well first of all this is a beautiful cover that deserves to be displayed. Next, I think this book sort of represents the spirit of the season. December signals the end of the year and Winter is the last book in the amazing Lunar Chronicles. There is also a lot of anticipation for the holiday season. You get to spend time with your family and exchange gifts. I know I've also been anticipating this book for a long time. This book deserves to be admired by many.
4. Pick a Fictional Place That Would Be Perfect for a Winter Vacation

Panem.

I feel like this is the most unoriginal answer, but the only fictional place I wouldn't mind vacationing in is Hogwarts and the surrounding areas (read as Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley). There would be nothing like actually going to the setting from one of your favorite childhood series.



5. What Fictional Character Would You Like to Take with You on Your Winter Vacation?

It took me quite a long time to think about this answer, but I finally decided that the perfect fictional character to bring along on this vacation, assuming they are unattached in this fictional universe, is Henry Nobley from Austenland by Shannon Hale.



I mean he already has experience fitting into a fictional universe and I'd like to think he would enjoy Hogwarts just as much as me. Not to mention he would make for some pretty attractive company.
6. Pick One Book That is on Your Wishlist This Year

My best regards to this fabulous question, but how could I possibly share just one book on my wishlist.

In fact why not share all the ones I asked for because I'm pretty darn excited about them. First on my list is Mirrored by Alex Flinn.

Ever since I read Beastly by Alex Flinn, I've had to read every one of the fairy tale retellings she releases. Mirrored is the next novel in what she calls the Kendra Chronicles and as you can probably guess by the title, it's a retelling of Snow White.

The next book on my wish list is Ginger: My Story by Ginger Rogers.


This is the autobiography of Ginger Rogers, one of my favorite actresses. Many of you might know her as part of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers dancing duo featured in an ton of awesome classic movies. I've mentioned on this blog a couple of times that I like to read nonfiction books, particularly if they are about a person or piece of history that I'm really interested in. I'm hoping to get this book and learn a bit more about Ginger Roger's life.

7. Name Your Favorite Holiday Drink, Treat, and Movie

My favorite holiday drink is coffee. I know all of you are completely bowled over by shock and awe.


What makes my normal everyday cups of coffee qualify as a holiday drink you ask. In December I love to drink my coffee with peppermint mocha creamer, which makes this delicious coffee and candy cane taste that reminds me of the holidays. My favorite treats are Christmas cookies, but not just any cookies. They have to be my great grandmother's recipe with homemade frosting. As for my favorite holiday movie...well I have two of them. One older and one newer style. The first is called The Shop Around The Corner.

This movie stars Margaret Sullivan and James Stewart, who stars in another Christmas classic, It's A Wonderful Life. Basically this story is about a salesman, played by Jimmy Stewart, who corresponds with a pen pal. Everything in his life is pretty normal until Margaret Sullivan's character starts working at the same shop. She also corresponds with a secret pen pal and she and Stewart's character are pretty antagonistic towards each other. All of this takes place during the holiday season. For those interested in a little bit of movie history, this movie has been remade twice. The first remake is called In The Good Old Summertime, a technicolor musical, starring Judy Garland and Van Johnson. The third remake is one all of you are probably familiar with starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks: You've Got Mail. Anyway I have to watch this movie every year or it doesn't feel like Christmas to me.

The other movie that I have to watch every year is A Christmas Story.


Simply put the movie focuses on a kid named Ralphie and his quest to get a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas. It's much more than that though. You get snapshots of his life at school, his interactions with his best friends and the school bullies, not to mention his family. It's basically this awesome messy portrayal of a family's life around Christmastime. I've watched it every year since I was a kid and I'll continue to watch it well into adulthood.

That was the Tis The Season Book Tag. I hope you enjoyed all of the questions in this post and that they might inspire you to do your own version of the tag. Until my post!