Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Penny's Music Recommendations: December Holiday Edition 2015

Hello readers, music lovers, holiday aficionados alike! As hinted at/promised in my November Music Recommendations post, I'm here to bring you a special holiday edition of Penny's Music Recommendations.
Ed Edd n Eddy's Jingle Jingle Jangle is a holiday staple in my life. No you are not allowed to judge.
Granted this is less of a music recommendation list and more of a "here, this is what I listen to every holiday season" list, but eh semantics. I figured since December is the time for holiday cheer, I would share a little bit of what I do to amp up for Christmas. Basically these are the songs I listen to when I'm decorating, putting up the Christmas tree, making Christmas cookies, and wrapping presents. I would listen to them at work, but sadly receptionists have to talk to people and answer the phone, not jam out to Christmas music with my glass window shut and locked. A girl can dream can't she?
Time for some holiday music!
  • Christmas by Michael Buble (Yes the full album)

Every year since this album came out, I've listened to it without fail. The day after Thanksgiving is the official the start of my Christmas season and this is the soundtrack to it. In fact, I wrapped presents on Black Friday to this album. I've included the yule log version of the full album on YouTube because it really sets the mood. Michael Buble has a perfect voice for Christmas songs and his songs remind me of the old greats aka Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. I love all of the songs on the album with the exception of his version of Jingle Bells. That song just grates on my nerves. My personal favorites from the album are Mis Deseos/ Feliz Navidad and White Christmas ft Shania Twain. Honestly everybody should listen to this album during the holidays.
  • White Christmas by Bing Crosby
 
If you haven't guessed by now based on the reappearance of this song on my list, White Christmas is my favorite Christmas song. I listen to about a billion versions of it during the holidays, but of course the original is always the best. During the holidays there are usually two types of holiday music listeners: the ones who listen to the classics and the ones who listen to modern Christmas music. As a general rule, I fall in the first camp. I love this song, I love the movie it's in and it reflects my wish every December: a white Christmas.
  • Believe by Josh Groban (From The Polar Express)

In a sea of modern Christmas songs, the soundtrack to the movie, The Polar Express, has to be one of my favorites. Every song is memorable and one of the best parts about Christmas at college was that I got to play a medley of songs from this movie during our Concert Ensemble holiday concert. Nothing like a ballad-like song to remind everyone to remember the spirit of the season.
  • O Holy Night by Celtic Women

Another important facet about Christmas music is that often you might aesthetically enjoy the music, but sometimes you enjoy it because of the memories you made while the song was playing. O Holy Night is one of those songs for me and Celtic Women's version is one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. In high school, I was in Choir and Chamber Singers, an extracurricular singing group. During December we would go to churches, the VA, and retirement homes to sing Christmas carols. Now, I'm not really a religious person, so I'm not hugely into religious Christmas songs, but O Holy Night reminds me of all those great trips and concerts.
  • Santa Claus is Comin' To Town by Fred Astaire
 

See I told you I like classic Christmas. Anybody that know me knows that I love classic movies and I particularly love anything that Fred Astaire is in. Many of you are familiar with this old Christmas special, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town, and Fred Astaire voices the postman. Of course at the end of the special, Fred Astaire sings his own rendition of Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town and this is my favorite version. 

Those are a good chunk of the Christmas songs that I listen to every year. This is by no means a comprehensive list of the Christmas songs I like. I can almost bet the moment after I publish this, I'll think of something other songs. Even though taste is subjective, I hope you find or even rediscover a new Christmas favorite in this list. Until my next post!