Sunday, December 6, 2015

December 2015 TBR

Hello readers! Can you believe that it's already December? Already almost the end of the year? I know I can't. Last I knew it was the beginning of summer and now we're here. I think it's probably because where I live we haven't had a proper snow fall yet, so it doesn't feel like Christmas time. I'm loving that now, but later on in the month I'll definitely be sad if we don't have a white Christmas (cue the Bing Crosby music).

I've finished just about all of my shopping for gifts, so now I'm ready to celebrate the spirit of the season. In comparison to previous months, I've decided to keep my December TBR a bit conservative. Why you ask. Well, Christmas is usually when I get a nice haul of new books and I just know I'll want to read them as soon as I get them. I figure why not give myself the time to do that near the end of the month. I think that's enough introductory babbling. Time to tell you what books I want to read during December.
  • My True Love Gave To Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Every year around Christmas time I have to read a holiday themed contemporary romance book. It helps put me in the spirit of the season and it's one of my guilty pleasures. Usually before December rolls around I already have one book picked out and I've had my mind set on My True Love Gave To Me since the beginning of the year. This book is basically just a collection of short stories by popular young adult writers. I'm so excited to read this because it has some of my favorite authors in the ya contemporary genre like Stephanie Perkins and Rainbow Rowell. I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first book I'll finish this month.








  • Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

This book hadn't even been on my radar until just before it's release and now that I know about it, I can't wait to read the whole story. I first heard about Illuminae from a couple of my favorite booktubers and when they showed the inside of the book, I immediately made myself a note to go buy it. As all of you know, I love a book with a nontraditional format and this book is told through a series of hacked documents like emails, military files, and medical reports. Illuminae is a science fiction ya novel and it centers on a female protagonist, Kady. Two rival megacorporations are at war over the planet that she lives on and while trying to escape, a plague breaks out. The synopsis makes this book sound super action packed and it's by the author that wrote the Starbound series, which I really liked. I think I'm going to say this about every book on this list, but I'm super excited to read it.



  • Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (Cormoran Strike #3)

You know I'm a sucker for a murder mystery novel and I couldn't let the newest release of the Robert Galbraith aka J.K. Rowling book go unnoticed. This is the third book in the Cormoran Strike series and I'm hoping that this book is just as captivating as the second, The Silkworm. The premise of Career of Evil is that Cormoran's assistant, Robin, receives a package that contains a woman's severed leg. This launches a police investigation, but when Cormoran and Robin look into the crime, they find their investigation to be quite different from the police leads. I've been dying to read this book for so long and it may just signal the return of one of my blog series...hint hint.







  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
You know the drill. It's time for my classic pick of the month. Aside note first. When I went to look at my TBR pile to decide on the next classic book I wanted to read, I was super shocked at how few classics I have left. I'm so used to having all of them clutter up my space because I bought classics with the hope that I'd get around to them eventually and I never would. Now that I've committed to reading one a month I feel so much better about myself. Honestly, if you have a collection of classic books you've always wanted to read, but never got around to, you should consider what I've been doing these past couple of months.

Back to this month's classic pick. I chose The Picture of Dorian Gray because I've always read and heard so much about this book and I feel guilty about not reading it. The basic premise of the story is that it's about a man who commits some terrible acts and never ages, yet his portrait shows all the signs of his age. I'm hoping this book will captivate me more than the last couple of classic picks.

There you have it. Those are all of the books I'm hoping to read this December. For any of you looking for gifts to buy a book lover or you're trying to put together a Christmas list for yourself, the gift guide that I made in 2013 still holds up to this day. Many of the sites have expanded their stock since then, so if you're interested I'll leave the link to that post here. Other than that make sure you stick around for some awesome holiday themed/end of the year posts!