Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Penny's Music Recommendations: October 2015

Hello readers and music lovers alike. We're now almost halfway through the month of October and this past Saturday, the first snowflakes of the season just fell. While I'm not ready for snow just yet, since we haven't had enough crisp autumn days, the passage of time does mean the discovery of awesome old and new songs. Some of my favorite bands have just released new albums and others are in the process of creating them. Anyway, here is a list of all of the songs I've been obsessively listening to this month that I want to recommend to you. As always most of them have an indie rock flavor to them, but my taste in music is always surprising, so you never know.
  • Victorious by Panic! At The Disco

When Panic! At The Disco released the song, "Death of a Bachelor," I wasn't too impressed or excited, but the thought of a brand new album in the works made up for that lack of excitement. Victorious is the latest song released off of that album and has much more of a pop rock sound to it. Whether you want it to or not, this song will definitely get stuck in your head. Victorious also seems like an awesome fusion of the Panic! At The Disco we all initially fell in love with and their new sound. All I can say is I need their new album soooooo bad right now,
  • Rollercoaster by Bleachers 

I initially discovered the song, Rollercoater, from the indie pop station that I listen to occasionally on Pandora. At first, I wasn't such a huge fan of it, but as with many of my favorite songs, it grew on me. The other day I was talking with someone about how I feel like new indie pop/rock songs have a huge 80s influence/aesthetic that's very hard to ignore. Rollercoaster is one of those songs that feels like it was ripped right off of the soundtrack of an 80s John Hughes movie and shoved into the 21st century, which is a plus in opinion. It's also one of those songs that is instantly uplifting and you can't help tapping your foot or outright dancing to it. This is the only song I've heard from Bleachers and if this song represents the band's style, I just might have to spend an afternoon digging through their discography.
  • Cardiac Arrest by Bad Suns

Cardiac Arrest was another song that took a long time for me to love. Initially, the song was featured in a music list in one of Jezebel.com's posts. I listened to it and didn't think too much of it. Later on I heard it again on the same Pandora station that played Rollercoaster. This song is, of course, classified as indie rock, but has some great 70s and 80s influences that make it one of those awesome easy listening rock songs. I also love that it has a loud, prominent bass line that begs you to jam along with it as you listen.
  • Make Them Gold by Chvrches

It's probably no surprise that I included another song off of the new Chvrches album, Every Open Eye. When the album came out, I had to listen to the whole thing in one day. There are songs that I loved the minute I first heard them and there are others that I'm still warming up to today. Make Them Gold is one of those songs that I instantly loved. This is one of the more upbeat songs from the album which features their iconic synth/electro-pop sound. I also can't recommend this song enough because I really connected with the lyrics: "We are made of our longest days/We are falling but not alone/We will take the best parts of ourselves/And make them gold" It's inspiring to think about how all of our daily trials make up who we are as people. All I can say is it's going to be a while before I stop listening to this song and this entire album.  
  • Stone Cold by Carrie Hope Fletcher
 

Stone Cold is the wild card on this list. In fact, it almost didn't make the list because I heard it so late in the month. Luckily, I decided to release this post a week later, so you get the chance to hear it. Originally this song is sung by Demi Lovato and I didn't hear it until Carrie Hope Fletcher released a cover of it on her YouTube channel. As a general rule, I've never been a fan of Demi. She reached her peak Disney Channel days when I was too old to really be sucked into her hype and fame. When she made her natural transition to troubled teen years and a larger music career, I really didn't pay attention. Regardless, when I heard Carrie sing this song, I immediately liked it. Stone Cold is one of those stripped down songs that you just want to sing along with at the top of your lungs. I may or may not sing this in shower. You'll never know. 
  • Vicious Love by New Found Glory ft. Hayley Williams
 

As many of you may know, I'm a huge fan of Paramore and anything Hayley Williams does, so when she mentioned this collaboration on Twitter, I had to check it out. Surprisingly, New Found Glory wasn't one of the bands that I liked to listen to in my middle and high school days when I was really really into pop punk. What's great about this song is that the pop punk sound reminds me of the music I used to listen to and I love that kind of nostalgic factor. It's one of those catchy rock songs that deals with a love hate relationship and the video does hilariously riff on couple's tattoos.  
  • Always Be One by Night Terrors of 1927
 
When I first started this music recommendations series, I featured one or two songs by Night Terrors of 1927, which I couldn't rave enough about. After that I really didn't give the rest of their music a chance. On a whim the other day, I decided to do that. Always Be One was one of those songs that I couldn't believe I'd overlooked before. For those that have never heard of Night Terrors of 1927, they are an indie pop duo that recently collaborated with Tegan and Sara for one of their songs on their first album, Everything's Coming Up Roses. Always Be One is one of those awesome upbeat, atmospheric songs with a bit of electronic influence thrown in. This band kind of reminds me of a more mellow version of Neon Trees from their earlier work before they became heavily pop in nature. If you are a fan of indie pop and rock music, you really need to check out this band. I'm just disappointed that they don't have any more music for me to listen to. I need a second album. Stat.

Those are all of the songs that I've been repeatedly listening to this month and can't help but recommend to you. As always I hope you found something new to listen to or maybe even a new favorite band. Now to start finding new music for next month.