Saturday, October 10, 2015

Mini Book Haul - October 2015

Hello again readers! It's seems like the end of September and the beginning of October this year is when all of the great books are being released. I worked some overtime hours this week, so naturally I decided now would be the perfect time to take a trip to the bookstore and buy all of the books I've been waiting to read. It was one of those short trips where I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't browse, particularly since I didn't want to spend my whole paycheck in there. Here are all of the newly released books that I purchased this weekend.

The Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennet by Kate Rorick and Rachel Kiley is the book that I primarily went to the bookstore to get. As many of you may already know, I love Pride and Prejudice and I love the YouTube modernization, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. In my review of the series, I mentioned that I really appreciated how they updated Lydia Bennet's character. She was transformed from a figure of condemnation to a girl that has been under-appreciated by her sisters and abused by a boyfriend. I was so excited when I learned that her story would be continued in a new novel. This book takes place after the events in The Lizzie Bennet Diaries and I can't wait to read it. For those that prefer audio books. The actress that plays Lydia in the series, Mary Kate Wiles, did the narration for the audio book as well.



Lair of Dreams by Libbra Bray is the sequel to the book, The Diviners which is a supernatural ya novel that takes place in the 1920s. Evie has supernatural powers, which classify her as a diviner. Her powers have been revealed to everyone now and it seems like this book is focused on other people that have the same powers that Evie possesses. What sucks is that it's been so long since I read the first book that the details are kind of fuzzy. I might have to refresh my memory before reading this book.


Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs is the third and I think final book in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. What makes this series so unique is that it's a ya book with fantasy, paranormal, and historical fiction elements all smashed together with creepy black and white photographs. I don't want to say too much about the plot because it might spoil the series for people that haven't read it yet, but basically this book continues Jacob's quest to save Miss Peregrine and all of the peculiar children. 


I only found out about this book a week ago and in that moment I knew I had to have it for my collection. "But Penny," you say, "you already own the whole series, so why buy the first book again?". Well, it turns out that new fully illustrated copies of each book in the series are being released every year!! When I saw this in the bookstore and looked at all of the beautiful color illustrations, I knew I had to have it regardless of the price. I've only had a chance to flip through a couple of pages, but everything I've seen looks amazing. Even though I just re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K Rowling, I might have to read this particular version soon.


Those are all of the books that I bought on my most recent trip to the bookstore and I can't wait to read all of them. All I can say is that it's going to be hard to stick to reading the books on my monthly TBR challenge now. Are any of these books on your wish list? Or are there other recently released books that you just have to get your hands on? See all of you next week for another post, which may just surprise you.