Saturday, September 12, 2015

Used Book Haul - September 2015

Hello again readers! I didn't realize quite how long it'd been since I did a book haul post, let alone a used book haul post. I figured it was about time I shared all of the awesome used books I bought today. A couple of times on this blog, I've mentioned that I like to frequent used bookstores and salvation armies in order to find cheap used books. Today I got to visit my other favorite place to find used books: the Book Barn.

Where I live the local library has a couple of large sheds behind the building where they sell books that people have donated or library books that have been taken out of circulation to make room for new books. Every book is sold at an incredibly cheap price and all of the proceeds are donated back to the library, so I always feel great whenever I buy books from there. The only problem is that the Book Barn is only open during sunny summer days and their hours are never consistent, so when I see that it's open I drop everything to go. Today was no exception. Usually after my long 40 hour work week, I sleep for about 12 hours. No joke. When I found out the Book Barn was open, I got out of my sleep coma early and rushed around to get ready to go. Luckily this haul justifies the sleep loss. Here are all of the used books that I managed to snag.


The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot is a book that I have seen everywhere and for whatever reason I decided not to pick it up until now. This book tells the true and investigative story of Henrietta Lacks, whose cells have played a huge role in the medical field, unbeknownst to her entire family. It sounds like this is going to be a really engaging book and I might learn something in the process. 


Before you freak out thinking that I haven't read The Hunger Games trilogy, rest assured that I have in fact read them. I read all of them right when they got released before the movies made them really popular. The reason the first two books are in this haul is that I read the trilogy from my local library and never got around to buying them for my own personal library. When I saw The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, I knew I had to have them. Now all I need is the final book to complete the trilogy.


Teen Idol by Meg Cabot is another book that I read before, but never owned until now. As many of you know, I'm a huge fan of Meg Cabot and I remember reading this book in my early years of high school. For some reason I couldn't remember what this book was about, so I'm thinking that I might have to spend a couple of hours re-reading it. The synopsis mentions that it's about a girl who is her school newspaper's advice columnist and she has to keep the identity of a Hollywood star secret while he researches a role. It sounds like it's a nice, fluffy afternoon read.



In addition to my intense love of books, I'm also a huge classic movie lover. One of my favorite movies of all time is Gigi, staring Leslie Caron and it's about a french girl who is being raised to become a courtesan. Her training is complicated by the fact that her rich best friend starts to develop romantic feelings for her. For the longest time I've wanted to read to text the movie was based off of and I finally came across it in a bind up of some of Colette's other stories. The dust jacket is a little beat up, but I don't mind. 


Ever since reading and loving The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, I've been buying all of her books that I come across. Lady Oracle seems to be about a writer's life story. The synopsis is a little brief, so it's hard to really describe what this book is about before I've actually read it.


The Book Barn has a really great classic book section and I found this beautiful edition of Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. This book has been on my to be read list ever since I saw recent movie musical adaption.


The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri is one of those books that I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read as someone with a degree in English Literature. This text is referenced by other works of literature pretty frequently and now that I have the time to read what I want, I'd like to tackle this. Of course the highly stylized edition helps too.



My love for the Bronte sisters is no secret to anyone who reads this blog or knows me personally. While I've read and already own everything that Charlotte, Anne, and Emily have written, I couldn't resist this beautiful edition of Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. While I have the sneaking suspicion this may have had a dust jacket at some point, this is a 1940s edition of the book with amazing illustrations peppered throughout the text. There was no way I was going to leave without adding this to my collection.


Here are all of the used books that I bought today and I'm pretty proud of my haul. Some of these books will make nice contributions to my book collection, while the remaining ones will be added to the TBR pile and will hopefully be featured again in one of my monthly TBR posts. If you liked any of these books or got found something fantastic in one of your own hauls, feel free to share it in the comments below.