Sunday, September 6, 2015

September 2015 TBR

Welcome back dear readers! Even though I've already fully embraced the reading potential of September by finishing a few books this labor day weekend, I'm ready to share with you the list of books I hope to read during the month of September. I think I'm going to call this TBR "Penny finally reads all of the books people are obsessing over right now...plus a random classic book." Not really a title, but you get the intention. For this month I decided to raid my TBR pile and finally read all of the books that people are talking about on YouTube and Goodreads. This could either go really well or rather badly considering my track record with overhyped books. Wondering what books I'm talking about? Well here they are!

  • The Winner's Curse by Maria Rutkoski

 I remember some of my favorite booktubers talking about this book awhile ago and I was reminded of it when I finished These Broken Stars and saw this was listed as a recommended book you should read next. I don't know much about this book other than the fact that it is another dystopian ya romance. I guess it also has some sci-fi elements and centers around a main character that has to deal with the repercussions of buying a slave. Oh boy. I'm not completely confident about this book, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try.










  • Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley

This is another book that I saw in a lot of booktuber's TBR lists and the synopsis sounded interesting. Of course the cover is so colorful that it draws you in too. The story is supposed to center around a protagonist that suffers from a lung disease on Earth, but soon finds herself on a different planet, Magonia, where she thrives. The only problem seems to be the impending conflict between Earth and Magonia. Here's to hoping there is plenty of world building to make this a solid read.



  • The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

 Maybe I should have just called this the ya dystopia month, since I didn't quite realize that's what the majority of these books are about. Anyway, who hasn't been talking about The Queen of the Tearling recently. It seems like the reviews of it are pretty polarizing too. Either people love it or they hate it and I'm excited to see what, if any, side I'm going to be on. The main premise of the book deals with a girl who is the daughter of the queen and has been raised in hiding. Now it's time for her to claim her rightful throne, a process I can't imagine goes smoothly.  









  • An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
Again, everybody and their brother has been talking about An Ember in the Ashes and I've had this on my TBR list since it was first an ARC giveaway on Goodreads. This is yet another sci-fi ya dystopia that is supposed to be based off of ancient Rome and focuses on a slave in the empire and of course her eventual romance with one of the soldiers. Will it be engaging or full of genre cliches? I guess I'll find out soon enough.  











  • Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
Here is my classic pick of the month and boy am I excited for this. Despite the fact that I've considered Jane Austen one of my favorite authors, I still have two of her books left to read, a fact which annoys me to no end. I mean I wrote my English senior seminar paper on Northanger Abbey! I'm determined to finish reading all of Austen's books before the year is out and this September I'm starting with Sense and Sensibility. I'm ready to dive right into societal mores and the romantic misadventures of the Dashwood sisters. Bring it on!

Those are all the books I'm planning on reading during September and if I have my way, this month will be my most productive month yet. As always if you're curious about my reading progress, you can friend/follow me on Goodreads. If you'd like to read the inane musings of my brain, then be sure to follow me on twitter @Penny_Landon. Now back to reading and enjoying my long weekend!!