Sunday, August 16, 2015

Penny's Music Recommendations: August 2015

Boy, hasn't it been a long time since my last post?! Don't worry dear readers you didn't miss much. I've basically been sleeping, working, and doing a little bit of reading for the past couple of weeks. As Florence Welsh sings. "the dog days are over" and for whatever reason I've been in a bit of a slump, both literary and musically speaking. Unfortunately, that means this list is going to be shorter than usual. Nevertheless, the songs I'm recommending for the month of August are just as amazing as the previous months and I hope that you give them a listen.
  • Riptide by Vance Joy

Riptide was one of those songs that took me forever to warm up to. As in I listened to it, didn't like it, and then returned a few months later to find I actually enjoyed this kind of folksy upbeat jam. My change in opinion is of course due in part to the lovely Mary Kate Wiles, who is best known for playing Lydia on the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, but many people don't know she has her own awesome channel. The video on the right is her cover of the song and after I listened to it, I immediately liked the song and wanted to find the original. Lo and behold, it was the song I'd rejected a few months earlier. Give both versions a listen and if you don't like them now, maybe give the song some time and a chance.
  • Leave A Trace by Chvrches


If you've been following these posts every month, you probably know about my long standing love of Chvrches. In fact, thinking about a time in my life before this band kind of sucks. For those that don't know about the band, Chvrches is an electronic/synthpop band lead with the amazing vocals of Lauren Mayberry. Leave A Trace is the first single off of their upcoming album Every Open Eye, which is set to release at the end of September!! When I first found out about this song and their new album I freaked out and then basically listened to this non-stop. All Chvrches songs seem to have this awesome atmospheric quality to them that I just love and it's upbeat without treading into gross bubble gum pop territory.
  • Never Ending Circles by Chvrches

That's right. Two Chvrches songs. Because I can! Never Ending Circles is the second song the band released off their new album and I love it just as much as the first. Some people have made the argument that this song just feels like a copy cat to all of the songs from their previous album The Bones of What You Believe and to an extent I admit it does have the same style and tonality, but I love it just the same. In all honesty, I'm one of those people that hates bands whose style changes drastically from album to the next. Not to mention I think people are too busy judging the full album before it gets released and should just enjoy the songs as they are. Never Ending Circles has a much heavier bass feel to it that reads a little less pop. I especially love when the middle of the song tones down to showcase Lauren. All I can say is this album can't be released soon enough.   
  • Body Talk by Foxes

I feel like the running trend this month is that the majority of the songs I'm recommending are ones that I had to grow to like, including Body Talk. Unlike Foxes' previous song, Youth, which I liked the minute I heard it, it took me about four or fives listens to get me to commit to liking this song. It has an upbeat electronic pop vibe to it that I'm sure many of you will enjoy and of course the vocals are stellar.
  • Ghost by Halsey

You know what I'm going to say don't you. Yep, another song I had to grow into. For whatever reason I didn't immediately like Halsey. Her vocals felt a little too breathy and uninteresting and the background instrumentals didn't hook me. After a few listens, I started to enjoy the kind of mellow indie pop sound present in Ghost. This isn't a song you're going to want to dance along to, but it feels like something you'd listen to as you wind down from a long, stressful day. 
  • 15 Dreams by New Politics

That's right New Politics' new album is finally out and I'm....sigh... meh about it. Gasp! I know right?! I just don't know what it is, but so many of the songs off of their album Vikings just isn't doing it for me. 15 Dreams is the one song, other than West End Kids, that really stood out. It has a catchy beat to it and the lyrics really stick with me considering they deal with the eternal struggle of having all of these dreams for your life and dealing with the fact that not many of them ever come to fruition. While I continue to play this song on repeat, I might give it a few weeks and then try to listen to the full album again. Maybe that also has to grow on me.

Those are all of the songs I've been listening to on repeat so far this month and I can only hope you found something you enjoyed, maybe even something far from the genres you normally listen to. Now it's time to start finding some songs to celebrate the forthcoming fall weather!