Saturday, August 1, 2015

August 2015 TBR

Hello again readers. Now that you've spent all that time looking over everything I had to say about the books I read in July, it's time to share what I'm hoping to read in August. Since I'm back to a full time work schedule, I'm going to to be a bit conservative in my book choices. Here they are!

  • Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson

Erik Larson has to be my favorite nonfiction writer and by that I mean he is the only nonfiction writer I consistently read regardless of the content of his books. I previously read his books that covered the topics of the Chicago Worlds Fair as well as World War II/Nazi Germany. Dead Wake is his newest book, which focuses on the Lusitania and by extension World War I. I started reading this near the end of July, but never got the chance to finish it before the end of the month. I'm hoping to finish this up before the end of August and I'm sure the content will be interesting and educational.









  • Wace and Layamon - Arthurian Chronicles

This simple looking book contains the english translations of Wace's Roman de Brut and Layamon's Brut. As many of you may know, in college I spent a lot of my time studying Arthurian Literature and writing a conference paper about it every year. In the last Arthurian course I took, we read Layamon's Brut, but didn't have the chance to read Wace. I made up my mind then that I would try to read the other half of this book when I had the chance and well...I haven't gotten around to it. This has just been sitting on my Goodreads currently reading shelf for ages and I just want to finally finish it.









  • Uprooted by Naomi Novik

I was watching some book hauls from my favorite booktubers and this is a book that consistently came up in every video I watched. So many people are in love with the story, so of course I can't resist checking it out. I don't know much about the story other than the fact that it is a dark ya fantasy novel that centers around a village near a corrupted wood. A wizard agrees to protect the people in the village with one stipulation: every 10 years a woman must go live with him. The premise is too hard to resist and I'm really hoping all of the hype is true.










Now it's time for the classic novel pick of the month and this is one that I'm ashamed to say I haven't read yet.

  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I've seen a couple film adaptions and remakes of this novel, but for whatever reason I've never had the chance to actually sit down and read it. That ends this month. I'm determined to finish this, particularly since Pemberley Digital's newest classic book modernization on YouTube is Little Women and I refused to watch any of it before reading the book.













Have any of these books made your TBR list? Don't be afraid to let me know in the comments and share what books you're looking forward to reading in the coming weeks!