Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Summer Read-a-thon 2015: Day 3 & Day 4

Thought I'd abandoned the challenge for a second didn't you? Well readers, as predicted, my work schedule on Day 3 disrupted the flow of the read-a-thon and I never got a chance to read much or even update my progress. This may have been me after work:

Cut to me snapping awake around 1:30 in the morning. At that point, I made the executive decision to transfer my sleepy self from the couch to my bed. When I woke up today I realized that it would just be easier for me to lump in my Day 3 updates with Day 4...so here we are. My fully rested self is ready to share just how much reading I've done. 

On Day 3, I again chose another random book that sounded interesting to read, which ended up being Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler (better known as Lemony Snicket). 

The premise of the book is that Min is writing a letter to her recent ex-boyfriend letting him know why they broke up. This letter is the narrative of the book, which Min plans to include with a box of stuff she's saved during their relationship. Each section focuses on an item in the box and flashes back to the point in their relationship that is relevant to the object. In theory, this book sounds great. Who wouldn't want to read a contemporary book that chronicles the emotional ups and downs of a relationship. In reality, the book is a jumbled, run-on mess of sentences that try to explain how emotionally crushing this shallow high school romance is supposed to be. As you can tell, I wasn't a fan. Back to the details of the read-a-thon.

On Day 3, I read 194 pages of this book. That's all I managed before the aforementioned super slumber. 

Now on to Day 4! After waking up bright and early (read that as sometime after noon), I resigned myself to finishing Why We Broke Up. The plus side is that started out my day with 160 pages. While trying to find another book to read, I made the startling realization that we are getting super close to the end of the month and I have in no way finished the books on my monthly TBR. That immediately prompted me to pick up Othello by William Shakespeare and brush off my English major academic reading skills.
As I mentioned in my TBR post, this book is kind of special because one of my favorite professors gave it to me and it's a shame that I hadn't read it until now. As a whole, I'm much more of a fan of Shakespeare's comedies rather than his tragedies, but I can still appreciate the tragedies, which is what I did for Othello. On a semi-related note, after I finished this play I had to see if there was a Thug Notes for it and to my delight there was! I can't mention it without sharing the video of course:


Anyway, I finished Othello, which added 208 pages to my total page count. After briefly considering finding a different book from the ones on my TBR list, I decided to start An Autobiography by Agatha Christie. 


Technically, I've had this listed as currently reading on Goodreads since December, but I really haven't been reading it. You've got to be in a certain mood to read an autobiography and today was finally that day. Before midnight came around I managed to read 70 pages. That brings my Day 4 total up to 438 pages. Considering I read an entire Shakespeare play today, that's not too shabby. 

If I add my Day 3 and Day 4 totals to my overall page count, that brings my challenge total up to an impressive 1787 pages! 

See all of you bibliophiles tomorrow for another update, I promise.