Saturday, July 25, 2015

Summer Read-a-thon 2015: Day 7 and Wrap-Up

Sadly dear readers the Summer Read-a-thon 2015 is over...although I can't say I'm too sad because once this post goes live, I'll probably just go back to reading. Oh, the life of a book lover. As I mentioned in my last post, despite the fact that I had a lot of errands to do yesterday, I still managed to sit down and do quite a bit of reading. I was determined that this reading challenge wouldn't fizzle out at the end and it didn't.

Yesterday I left off reading Season of Storms by Susanna Kearsley and boy was it not going well.

I started off the day optimistic in the hopes that the further along I got in this book the better it would get. I kept going through this cycle of thoughts: "Nothing is happening in this book. I wish I could just stop reading. You know you could DNF this book. No, I've never done that. Besides I'm already so far along and I couldn't possibly give up now." I kept going through that process for the rest of my reading experience. The book was so boring that I actually stopped and read a completely different book. Then I resigned myself to finishing this and then stopped again to do some spur of the moment online shopping. Once I bought two pairs of shoes I might regret in the future, I again returned to this book and prompt discovered all of the action is crammed into the last 100 pages of the book and none of it is built up to or even hinted at. Not to mention there is romance in this book, but so much of the interactions are bland and forgettable. Needless to say I wouldn't recommend it. Ever. I'm proud of the fact that I did finish Season of Storms and my determination allowed me to start the day with a total of 253 pages.

The next book I read, which I started and finished while reading the aforementioned book was Coraline by Neil Gaiman.

 Coraline is one of those books that I've been meaning to read forever. It was popular when I was still in secondary school and then when the movie version of it was released. I always like watching Coraline around Halloween and every time I question why I've never read the book. Now I can finally say I have. Right off the bat, I'm way too old for this book and not the intended audience. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it. I feel like I would have loved Coraline had I discovered it around the same time that I was going through my intense Roald Dahl phase. I, of course, finished Coraline well before midnight and that added 162 pages to my page count.

Since I spent most of the day reading or avoiding Season of Storms I didn't get a chance to read anymore books before midnight came around.

Despite that setback I still manged to read a total of  415 pages for the day! Now it's time for the best part: looking back to see how many books I read and determining a final page total. In the span of a week, I managed to finish a total of 9 books and 2891 pages!! 

I'm pretty sure this is my most successful Summer Read-a-thon challenge to date and you'll get to look forward to a rather lengthy July wrap-up post at the end of the month. I figure if the summer continues with this trend of awesome reading, my TBR pile will finally start to disappear. In case you're curious about some of the stuff I have in the works for future blog post during the month of August, I'm currently working on the last Jane Eyre Watch-a-thon post, which is honestly a long time coming. I've also started reading for a new blog series that I hope to release in the next couple of weeks, but I don't want to share what it is just yet. I want to keep some of the surprise alive. All I'm going to say is that it involves re-reading a lot of books. Something I never do. I hope you've enjoyed hearing about this reading challenge and you'll stick around to see what else I have in store!