Friday, July 24, 2015

Summer Read-a-thon 2015: Day 6

Oh hey readers! After what felt like the shortest summer day (shocking considering I was up before noon), the sixth day of the Summer Read-a-thon is complete. In other words, I've successfully languished on the couch for a good portion of the day while reading and drinking way more coffee than I should have. I even made nutella cookies, but that didn't really help with the whole spending the majority of the day reading bit.

As some of you may remember, yesterday I left off reading An Autobiography by Agatha Christie.
Even though non fiction/biographies aren't typically the types of books I like to read, I really enjoyed Agatha Christie's biography. Granted, as it got nearer to the end, the reading experience got a bit tedious. This is a rather sizable book and I think I personally found the ending a little less captivating because around Christmas time I read a book that detailed Agatha Christie's travels throughout her life. Much seemed to be repetitive. Regardless, I'm so glad I finally got around to finishing it. Agatha Christie will always be one of my favorite authors and it's nice to know more about her actual life. By completing this book, I started out my day's total with 261 pages.

I wanted to switch up my reading experience again and decided to pick another random book from my TBR pile. I ended up deciding on Season of Storms by Susanna Kearsley.

This is a book that I can't quite remember discovering, but the synopsis sounded so interesting that I had to check it out. The story centers on Celia, an actress, who is contacted about traveling to an Italian villa in order to star in a performance. The complication comes from the fact that the playwright wrote the play for his mistress, a woman that Celia shares a name with. Sounds appropriately gothic-y and mysterious, right? With a bit of romance thrown in to spice things up? Well I managed to read 183 pages of it today before midnight and...nothing has happened. I'm serious. This book manages to be even less interesting than the biography I just finished reading.
 A couple of times during the reading experience, I seriously considered just giving up and moving on to a different book. I didn't though. I've gained the ability to abandon series I don't like, but for whatever reason I can't break the habit of finishing every book I start. I guess tomorrow I'll be slogging through the rest of this book in the hopes that it gets better somehow. 

Moving on. It's time to share my updated page count totals! After all was said and done, I managed to read 444 pages today. After adding that to my running challenge total, I'm now up to 2476 pages! 

Tomorrow is the last day of the Summer Read-a-thon for this year and as much as I'd love to have the whole day free for reading, unfortunately I have to do some errands and drop by work. Nevertheless, I'm determined to make the last day as awesome as possible.