Monday, July 20, 2015

Summer Read-a-thon 2015: Day 2

Welcome back to another update on the Summer Read-a-thon 2015, where I let you know my day to day reading progress. As I'm typing this, it is a little bit after midnight and Day 2 has finally wrapped up. Advanced apologies go out for the possible brevity of this post. I sadly have to wake up early tomorrow for work and I really should be getting to bed soon. That means that my Day 3 page totals might be the low point of this challenge, but then again I could very well surprise myself.

Despite the fact that I went to bed right after publishing the Day 1 update, I did get some pretty substantial reading done today.


Last night I mentioned that I had started reading The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black and today I sat down and finally finished it.

Reading this book took up the majority of my day because I just had no desire at all to continue with the story. Nothing about it was really grabbing my attention. Granted, the world building was great, but I think I personally can't get any sort of enjoyment out of a ya book that has fairies. As a whole the plot just felt "meh"-ish  and the romances were complete insta-love. Since I finished the book, it started out my Day 2 count with 195 pages!

After finishing Black's novel, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to read next, so I randomly chose Born of Illusion by Teri Brown.

The book centers around Anna, an illusionist, who takes part in her mother's traveling magic show. The setting is in New York City in the 1920s, which seems to be a popular time and place to set stories in the ya genre. The interesting part about this book is that her mother plays at being a medium and a mentalist while Anna attempts to hide her actual supernatural powers. She can see visions of the future, read people's emotions, and communicate with the dead. There is some mystery and intrigue thrown into the mix, but the best part of the book has to be Anna's own personal struggles as the entertainer always in the shadow of her mother. I really enjoyed the story and was pleasantly surprised to find that it is part of a series. You can tell I was engaged, more so than the previous book because I finished this all in one day. That means I added 373 pages to my total page count.

I didn't get a chance to start another book before midnight, so my final page count for Day 2 is 568 pages. If you add that to my page total from yesterday, that brings the page count of the whole challenge up to 1155 pages!


See you back here tomorrow after midnight for the next update on my Summer Read-a-thon 2015 challenge. Now it's time for this dedicated reader to go to bed.