Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Penny's Music Recommendations: July 2015

Hello readers and music lovers alike! Another month has come and gone and with it arrives another crop of great songs that I had to share with all of you. Sorry for posting this a little later than usual. The #livetweetHP happened to coincide with the same time that I usually draft this up and I needed a bit of a break from spending two of my nights solidly reading and tweeting. Never fear though! I had a break from work this week and resolved to type this up...even with the temptation of nostalgia playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Anyway, here are the songs I've been listening to on repeat.
  • Young Blood by The Naked and Famous
Once I finished having my musical fling with The Naked and Famous' Hearts Like Ours I set out to find some other songs of theirs that I might like just as much. That's when I came across Young Blood. Just as I said in one of my previous music recommendation posts, it has a mellow sort of mood to it, with some electronic beats in the background to keep everything still a little upbeat and interesting to listen to. When I want to wind down after a long day, this is one of the songs that I now turn to.
  • White Noise by PVRIS
After listening to and loving St. Patrick by PVRIS I had to listen to the rest of the album. For whatever reason this was the only other song that I enjoyed. White Noise is one of those slower electronic songs that is really just begging for a DJ to turn it into a more upbeat dubstep remix, which might be a good or bad transformation, who can tell. Aside from that the vocals are full of emotion and really just perfection. Plus I just like the combination of electronic and rock sounds. 
  • Sex (EP Version) by The 1975
I think my love for The 1975 is pretty well established by now and I don't feel like I need to explain myself, but of course I will :) A couple of days ago I was going back over some of their songs on YouTube and I came across the EP version of Sex. It has that type of intense indie electronic rock song that I've come to prefer.
  • Illuminate by The Hunts

A couple of recommendation posts back, I talked about how much I loved The Hunts after I heard them at one of my college events. Well my appreciation for their music continues to grow. Recently they released their newest album Those Younger Days and so many of the songs on there are fantastic, so I had a hard time deciding on one. I finally settled on Illuminate because it's one of those deceptively mellow songs that picks up in pace halfway through and manages to stick in your head for the rest of the day. It also has a sound that just envelopes you. I know that sounds a little vague and weird, but you'll see what I mean when you give it a listen. Granted if you don't like folk inspired music, you might not like The Hunts...that doesn't mean you shouldn't give them a chance. 
  • Cold Cold Man by Saint Motel
Cold Cold Man is yet another incredibly catchy song that I discovered through the featured free songs on Google Play. When I say catchy I really mean it. As in after one listen, you will never get it out of your head. You'll find yourself singing it at random times and then you'll get the strongest urge to listen to it, which is kind of hard when you're at work. Cold Cold Man has an electronic feel that is reminiscent of songs from the 80s, with some great guitar and drum back-beats. It is also one of those songs that just makes you feel better and happier afterwords.   
  • Different Colors by Walk the Moon
One of my previous posts featured Walk The Moon's very popular song Shut Up and Dance and I'm one of those people who has to listen to the whole album if I know I love one song from it. Different Colors is one of the songs that I immediately liked when I listened to their album Talking is Hard. Again it's peppy, upbeat, with a little bit of indie flare thrown into the mix. Perfect combination if you ask me.
  • Tear in My Heart by Twenty One Pilots
I know this is probably a bit unfair to the rest of the fantastic songs on this list, but Tear in My Heart has to be my favorite and most listened to song this month. For whatever reason I can't get enough of it. I could listen to it over and over again and never get sick of it. I was doing one of favorite past-times, YouTube video hopping, where I listen to one song I like and just click on songs that sound interesting in the recommendations sidebar or those that have suggested in the comments. If my memory is correct, somebody recommended that people listen to this if they liked Cold Cold Man and that person in the comments was completely right. I was absentmindedly listening to this song for the first time while I was reading a book on my tablet, when this line caused me to burst out laughing: "I'm driving, here I sit cursing my government for not using my taxes to fill holes with more cement." From then on I was hooked. Again this has an electronic rock feel to it that makes you want to sing along, tap your feet, or even get up and dance. I'm determined at some point to spend an afternoon digging through their discography to find some other great songs. 
  • Midnight Sun by Kate Boy

As you know, I'm always on a quest to find new music. It was a habit I developed when I was a DJ at my college radio station and I haven't been able to give that habit up. I found this gem in a Buzzfeed list on 50 or so songs that you should listen to. After spending all that time going through the list, this was the only song I liked. Unfortunately if you're in the U.S. YouTube currently won't let you listen to it (this could change in the future), so I found it on soundcloud. I figure why deny you the pleasure of listening to Midnight Sun. I guess this month I've been really feeling upbeat electronic songs, since this is of course one of those. For whatever reason Kate Boy reminds me so much of Robyn, another one of my favorite artists. I dare you not to listen to this on repeat.
  • Search Party by Sam Bruno
Anybody that has seen the trailers for the movie Paper Towns of course recognizes this song. Once you get past the awesomeness of Mikky Ekko's Smile, then you notice how great Search Party is too. It doesn't have a peppy or infectious melody, but that back-beat though! I'm probably not the first person to say this and I won't be the last, but if you like M.I.A. you'll like Search Party, since it kind of has the same vibe as M.I.A.'s Bad Girls
  • Carried Away by Passion Pit
I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't like Carried Away when I first heard it. The heavily bubble gum electronic beat was off-putting and the screeching synth was just not working for me. Then I listened to it again and then again later on. For whatever reason something changed and it became less annoying and more infectious and catchy. Plus it's one of those songs about love that feels so much more honest than the crap that is usually on the radio. Basically nobody is perfect, so relationships aren't perfect, and often we stay together with people we really shouldn't. Who knew all of that was hidden in such a cheery sounding song. 

After such a great month of songs I'm not sure if I'll be able to move on to something new for next month. That doesn't mean I'm not going to try! As always I hope you enjoyed some of the songs on this list and feel free to recommend others in the comments.