Saturday, June 13, 2015

Penny's Music Recommendations: June 2015

Here we are again dear readers. Yet another month has passed and with it comes a crop of new songs for you to enjoy. Even though my life has gotten the most hectic it has ever been in the past month, I've still found time to discover some really amazing songs that I can't wait to recommend to you. Some of these artists might be repeats from last month and other choices probably won't shock you if you've been following along with these posts. Either way they are songs that I just can't get enough of.
  • West End Kids by New Politics


I think two or three recommendation posts back, I made my love for New Politics known. What was kind of hilarious was the day after I posted by May recommendations list, this new single dropped and I really wish I could have included it. It all worked out in the end because I'm still listening to this song well into the middle of June. When I need a light pop sounding song to pick me up after a long, terrible day, this is the one I turn on. I can't tell you how ready I am for a new New Politics album. I can bet when it comes out on August 14, you will be reading about it here. 
  • St. Patrick by PRVIS


Sometime in the middle of May I discovered this gem of a song doing some random YouTube hopping. You know how that goes. You start with one awesome song and then just start exploring the recommendations on the sidebar. PVRIS is basically a tamer, more pop sounding version of The Pretty Reckless. The same hard edged voice, with more of a synth style background. I haven't had the chance to explore some of their other songs, but this is one that I've definitely been returning to again and again.    
  • Everybody Wants Somebody by Patrick Stump

Have you ever had the experience of listening to a song or album and not immediately liking it. Then you rediscover it a few years later and find out that you actually really like it. People's music tastes tend to change with time and this was the case when Everybody Wants Somebody showed up on one of my Pandora stations about a week ago. Most of you know by now that I'm a huge fan of Fall Out Boy and when they went on hiatus, I felt devastated. When I heard Patrick Stump came out with a solo album, I had to check it out. Aside from two songs, the album really wasn't to my taste. The funk/soul influence in this album is strong and that wasn't something I appreciated back then. Granted those really aren't two of my favorite genres now, but I found myself really enjoying this song. Sometime soon I many have to give Patrick Stump's solo album another full listen.  
  • Geronimo by Sheppard


Stop the presses! I actually like a song that has been on popular radio station recently. Gasp, I know right? I really can't help it through, since this is such a peppy and catchy song. It's also one of those songs that sticks around in your head hours after you've listened to it. Not to mention the backup female vocals are pretty awesome. 

  • Smile by Mikky Ekko

Smile was again one of those songs that I didn't immediately like after I first heard it. It had to give it a few weeks before I finally warmed up to it. Fellow John Green fans will recognize that this is one of the songs that they used in the new Paper Towns trailer. While the lyrics are really kind of depressing, it doesn't give off a depressing vibe. It's kind of mellow with a little bit of pop thrown into the mix.  
  • Mercy by Muse

I told you there would be an artist repeat on this list. Every time a new song off of Muse's forthcoming album gets released, I find myself loving it. The vocals, piano, and amazing base sounds all combine to make this fantastic song. The only problem is I can decide what song off of this album is going to turn out to be my favorite. I guess I'm just going to have to love the whole album. 

Those are all of the songs that I've been obsessively listening to lately. Have any of these made your playlists? Is there something you'd like to recommend? Feel free to let me know in the comments.