Monday, June 29, 2015

July 2015 TBR

Well hello again readers. It isn't quite July yet, but I figured getting my TBR list out to you earlier rather than later would be better...particularly since my work schedule is all jumbled this week and I can't say for certain when I'll have enough free time again to write a blog post. Some days I'm just lucky I don't fall asleep right when I get home. Like last month, I'm not completely certain how much time I'll actually have to read, so I'm trying to keep this list a little more conservative again. That being said, I also put a little more thought into my book choices this month. Usually I just pick a couple of books randomly and hope I'm still up to reading them when I get around to it. Anyway, enough tired Monday ramblings. Time to talk about some books!
  • Palace of Stone (Princess Academy #2) by Shannon Hale
When I finished the first Princess Academy book, I wasn't sold on the idea of that book being the first in a series. In fact, it read like a nice standalone middle grade novel. Yet here I am and I'm willing to give this sequel a chance despite my better judgement.














  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4) by Diana Gabaldon
Those who've visited my blog before know I've been slowly making my way through the Outlander series ever since I read the first book and watched the first season of the tv show. Since these books are so large, it takes me a while to sit down and make my way through them. For whatever reason, halfway through June I just felt the strongest urge to set this series aside for a little bit and read other books.There are only so many times you can read the word "sassenach" per page and not have your eyes glaze over. Now that I've had a break, I'm ready to jump back into the series.









  •   Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
 This is a book that I recently found out about out of the blue. I think Goodreads had it listed as a giveaway at some point and that's what peaked my interest. I don't know much about the story other than it centers on a woman that escapes an arranged marriage. I'm hoping it's one of those books with a kickass heroine because I'm really in the mood for something like that right now.











  • An Autobiography by Agatha Christie
Those who follow my status updates on Goodreads probably know that this book has been on my currently reading shelf since December, which is kind of shameful. I got this book as a Christmas gift and I was completely excited to read it. Unfortunately time got away from me and before I knew it, I had to go back to college. Ever since then, I haven't been in the mood to read it. For whatever reason, I'm one of those people that enjoys reading nonfiction books, but I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. It is almost impossible for me to force myself to read a nonfiction book and at this point I'm just ready for the day when this is no longer on my currently reading shelf.







  • Othello by William Shakespeare

Yep, you read that correctly. I do want to read a Shakespeare play, even after I've finished my Bachelor's in English Literature. Well this is the slight change in my monthly TBR lists that I wanted to talk about. A few days ago, I realized that over the years I've collected a ton of classic novels that I've never had the motivation to read. When I see used copies in bookstores, I snatch them up because I tell myself that one day I'll get around to reading them. I've decided it's about time I fulfill that promise, but reading a least one classic book a month. I figured Othello would be the best book to start out the classics section of my TBR because one of my favorite professors gave me a copy of this book after I presented one of my papers at a conference. It has a nice handwritten note from him inside and I've always felt guilty about not having read it since I was given it a year ago.




As much as I would love to add many more books to this July TBR, I'm holding myself back. The plus side is I'm surprisingly close to meeting my 2015 Reading Challenge of 100 books, which is something I never expected in July. Don't forget to let me know what books you're looking forward to reading this upcoming month!