Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Series I Will Not Finish

Hello again dear readers! The holidays are fast approaching and you know what that means? New books!! I thought to celebrate this forthcoming joyous occasion, I would take a moment to acknowledge all the series I've finally given up to make room in my life for newer and better books.

In middle school and high school, I was one of those people that had to finish a series, whether I liked it or not. It somehow felt wrong to abandon a story and characters I'd invested a great deal of time in. Thankfully, I've overcome that mindset and have no qualms about abandoning a series, even if I only have the last book left...as you will soon discover. Additionally, I've found that over the years my taste in books has changed. One predominate trend in the series I've chosen to abandon is that a good number of them are ya romances with some sort of supernatural element to them. As I've mentioned in one of my other posts, I used to really enjoy that genre, but now I generally stay away from them. I find that many of them are so terribly cliche and follow the same sort of plot progression. Anyways, I think it's time you discover what series I won't be finishing.


  • The Ring and the Crown Series by Melissa de la Cruz



I've already done a rather in depth review of this book, which includes all of the reasons why I disliked it so much. Instead of rehashing all that, I'll just leave a convenient link to that review right here.

  • The Friday Night Knitting Club Series by Kate Jacobs

I picked this book up on a whim in a used bookstore and I really wish I had just left it there. This book has all the chick lit cliches with a terrible ending to round out the ordeal of reading this book. I posted a pretty scathing review of it on Goodreads if you're curious about my more detailed opinion on it. That can be found here.

  • The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare

Some of you probably freaked out a little, right? I should expect that because this series has such a huge fan base which is hard to ignore as an avid reader. In fact I decided to stop reading this series after having read all but the last book. I just couldn't take the story any longer. I was a huge fan of the original series (the first 3 books now). I loved them so much I marathoned the whole thing and walked away satisfied. Then the series resumed and the plot got so frustratingly convoluted and I really started to hate the characters and their nonsensical actions. I even suffered through its copycat spin off series. While reading I really had to force myself to go on, which you should never have to do. Let's just say I've washed my hands of this series and anything else Clare decides to write about in the future.

  • House of Night Series by P.C Cast and Kristin Cast


This series...sigh. There is so much to say about this series and I wish I had the patience to detail it all for you. I so desperately wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self what a terrible mistake she was making even considering picking up the second book in this terrible series. I seriously ended up reading 8 of these horrible books before I finally called it quits. I just can't tell you why I got so far either. This series is a bit like finding four or five of the most vapid girls you've even known and choosing to listen to hours of their obnoxious gossip and poisonous comments about other girls. First of all the writing was terrible, as in should never have left the word document it was written in. The language is juvenile and the ridiculous words used to fill in for swear words had me wanting to smash my head against the wall. Zoey, the main character has what I and many other people like to call the "special snowflake syndrome." She is this high and mighty character who thinks she's perfect and has super special powers that make her so different from everyone. I hated her and her terrible romantic problems and the terrible plot progression of the whole series. 

  • Wings Series by Aprilynne Pike

This is another series that I chose to abandon before reading the last book. It's one of your typical ya romance novels that was released when fairies were popular in ya fiction. The plot was always secondary to the obnoxious love triangle and so was the development of the main female character. 

  • Hush, Hush Series by Becca Fitzpatrick



This is yet another ya supernatural romance that I thankfully gave up halfway through the series. Now that I look back on my experience, I wonder what I was thinking reading this. The main romantic character is this book is a fallen angel, another ya trope that has hopefully died by now. I don't remember if there was ever a love triangle in this story, but I do faintly recall that it had plenty of similarities with Twilight and that I was always a bit weirded out by the main character's relationship with the fallen angel love interest. Again I'm so thankful that my younger self had the foresight to move on from this series.

  • The Fallen Series by Lauren Kate

Oh look another ya romance series that deals with fallen angels and a questionable romantic relationship. I think I only finished three books in the series before I finally decided not to waste any more of my time. While I often point out how the plot in a bad book is usually secondary to the love interest, the plot of this whole series is the relationship. I kind of hoped this book would fade into obscurity as one of those weird ya angel books, but alas there is movie in the works for it. Such is life.

  • The Halo Series by Alexandra Adornetto
Not much to say here. Another ya romance novel where the love interest is an angel. Not much plot happens, the insta-love romance is terrible and my current feminist self ever wonders how I could have even stomached this drivel. I thankfully only read the first book.

  • The Paranormalcy Series by Kiersten White


 Can anyone tell me what this book was about besides the fact that it was a girl with super special powers that gets herself into a love triangle? Anyone? My impression from this book was that it's just one in a number of ya books that follow this same trend. I just can't read the same story rehashed over and over again.

  • The Matched Series by Ally Condie

I love a good dystopian book and I don't mind if a bit of romance gets put in the mix. At the time I read this book, I actually liked it, but my tastes back then as you've seen were pretty terrible. In fact this still has a 5 star rating on my Goodreads page, which I'm really considering downgrading (goes to do just that). For whatever reason I never got around to the sequels and now that I'm older and wiser, that was probably for the best. It was essentially a love triangle dressed up to look like a dystopian novel. It had the flavor of The Giver, with none of the actual impressive substance. I'm left to wonder if there was any plot and world building in the sequels, but I guess I'll never know.

  •  The Castor Chronicles Series (aka Beautiful Creatures) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

This series is another one of those ya paranormal romances that I mention often here on Myriad Novelations. Strangely enough even my younger self heavily disliked this series and when the movie was released I remembered why I gave it up after finishing the second book. It has the usual ya romance tropes, only the story is told from the point of view of the male romantic interest, which was heavily unsuccessful as I recall. The other problem was these books are huge, so ridiculously huge. I can barely stand a 200 page stereotypical ya romance and these are 500 pages of romantic nonsense. If you saw the movie and liked it, please don't commit yourself to reading this if you haven't already.

  • The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

Giving up this series was a recent decision, as many of you who look at my TBR list can tell. I originally read Interview With A Vampire in high school after watching the movie. At that time I liked the movie and felt rather lukewarm about the book. I convinced myself that I had to read the rest of the series and bought the books when I came across them in a used bookstore. For years they have been languishing in my TBR pile and I've never had much motivation to read them. At this point I've thrown in the towel and they will hopefully be donated in the near future. 

There are probably plenty of other series that I've abandoned over the years, but these were the ones that stuck out it my mind. I'd be interested to hear what series you've abandoned. Were they the same ones I've discussed here or something different? Best Wishes everyone and have a happy holiday!