Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Reading Habits Tag

Why hello again readers and welcome to another holiday boredom fueled blog post. As I was looking through my notebook of blog post ideas I came across my answers to this awesome tag, which of course originated on Youtube. I figured why not do something a bit light today. Time for you all to know a bit more about my reading habits.

1. Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
Not really. Since I split my time between college and home I don't have a designated reading space. When I'm at home I tend to read on the couch, which is pretty comfy. At college I usually like to read on my bed, which usually results in a lot of dangerous surprise naps. This year in particular I really have to read on my bed because my desk chair is this small, wooden abomination that is painful to sit in for longer than an hour or two.

2. Do you use a bookmark or a random piece of paper?
I usually use a bookmark or a sticky note to mark my place. If I'm ambitious enough to sort though the crap in my desk drawer I might even use those sticky flags. I never under any circumstances dog ear a page.

3. Do you stop reading at the end of a chapter or anywhere?
I stop reading wherever I am in a book, sometimes even in the middle of a page. Since I do the majority of my reading at nighttime, I often reach a point where I'm just so tired that I can't read anymore and that rarely happens at the end of a chapter. 

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?
Of course! What kind of question is this? I don't even know if it's possible for me to do a significant amount of reading without a cup of tea or coffee next to me. I'm drinking coffee right now as we speak. 

5. Can you read while listening to music or watching tv?
Ideally, I'd like to think so, but in actuality nope. If the tv is on, I will inevitably be distracted, even if it's a program I'm not in the least bit interested in. As far as music goes, I can only listen to it while reading if it's instrumental. Even then I only do so if there is a lot of noise around me. I've recently found the usefulness of a good Hans Zimmer or Lindsey Stirling track because my neighbors at college are the noisiest/worst people in existence. It's a bit hard to read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man when your neighbors are enthusiastically singing along to every song on the top 20 list, since they have no unique music taste of their own (do I sound bitter??).


6. Do you read one book at a time or several at once?
If you look at my currently reading list on Goodreads, you can definitely tell that I love to read more than one book at once. Honestly, if you plan on being an English major or just going to college in general, it's a skill you have to have. As far as fun reading goes, sometimes I get tired of a book or I'm just not in the mood for a certain book, so I just pick up another. 

7. Do you read at home or everywhere?
Everywhere!! Some people have apps on their phone to use when they have some unexpected free time in public. I make sure to have a book with me. My one piece of advice is before you go out in public make sure you take a book you aren't afraid to talk about. There will be that one random person who is suddenly interested in what you're reading.

8. Do you read out-loud or silently in your head?
Generally, I read silently in my head, unless there is a particularly challenging poem or passage in my school work. Then, I'll read it out-loud to help work my way through the ideas and better analyze them.

9. Do you read ahead?
Nope, but if I'm at a particularly boring part in a book I will skillfully skim the section. 

10. Do you break the spine or keep it new?
What kind of sane person intentionally breaks a spine!!!! Of course you keep a book like new. What is the whole point of buying a new book, if you are just going to ruin it from the start. I remember in 9th grade our school bought a ton of brand new copies of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. They were the hardcover library style copies, so the binding was a bit tight. One guy who sat across from me got his new copy and preceded to open the book somewhere in the middle and completely crack the spine open. I'm pretty sure I gasped in horror.

11. Do you write in books?
Only if they're college books because I need to underline, highlight, and annotate sections to prepare for essays. My other English major friends always like to borrow my books because they have helpful comments in them, but I do like leave snarky jokes and annotations in the margins too that always make them laugh.

That's all the questions I have for this tag and I hope you liked learning a bit more about my own reading habits. Don't be afraid to answer these questions yourself. Until next time, Best Wishes.