Monday, August 25, 2014

Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 2: Day 4

Hello readers!! Sorry for the late/super early in the morning post. Somehow I managed to lose track of time (read as: fell asleep) and I neglected to post right after midnight. Luckily, here I am to clue you in on how Day 4 of my reading challenge went down.


That's right I finally... FINALLY finished King Arthur's Death which is a bind up of the Stanzaic and the Alliterative Morte Arthur. A huge chunk of my day today was devoted to just sucking it up and finishing the Alliterative. It was a bit of a love/hate relationship to tell you the truth. I really enjoyed how action packed it was and that readers get to see Arthur's life and kingdom ultimately deteriorate because of his own pride. This is of course in direct comparison to the Stanzaic, which mainly focused on Launcelot and Guinevere's affair. The only real problem that I had with the Alliterative was the fact that the descriptions of the battles dragged on forever. The boredom really set in during those long scenes. Still I'm glad I finally got around to reading the book and I'll have much to discuss for my class. 

So how many pages did I read today. Well when all was said and done I managed to read 97 pages. It doesn't seem like a lot, but those pages were some of the hardest I've ever read. That addition brings my overall total up to 334 pages. It may be far from my goal, but boy do I feel accomplished anyway. 

For those wondering, the next book I'll be reading from my summer reading assignment pile is entitled The Lancelot-Grail Reader

This handy dandy book is a collection of episodes from the Vulgate and Post Vulgate cycles, which again deal with Arthurian legend. All of the episodes are completely translated, so I think it will be a whole lot easier to get through. I'll just have to see tomorrow. Until then, time for some sleep. Best Wishes!!