Thursday, August 21, 2014

Announcing the Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 2

Hey readers!! It's been quite a long time since I've posted anything hasn't it? Well, I'm sorry to say my blog and ability to read went on a brief unannounced hiatus. Basically my whole August has been consumed by packing and moving to a new apartment, but thankfully the moving is over, my collection of books is settled, and I've had a spare moment to relax. Now I'm back! I'd been enjoying these past two days of relaxation and then reality hit me like a ton of bricks when one of my professors emailed the syllabus for the fall term of my Senior Year... oh boy! The next reality that smashed me in the face was the realization that I still have summer reading to do. Yep.

I figured a would kill two birds with one stone so to speak and finally start Part 2 of my Summer Read-a-thon and get all of my assigned reading completed. Starting at midnight tonight, which really isn't any notice since it's past midnight already in my time zone (sorry), I'll be reading all of those books I put off for the majority of the summer. Don't you just love procrastination!

That's totally my reason for delaying my academic reading

As I said earlier the challenge will commence at midnight and end a week later on August 28th. I will of course be posting daily updates, but I might mix things up a bit. Since so many of my books are academic related, I probably won't have much to say in my updates. To compensate for that lack I'll probably do some posts unrelated to the read-a-thon. In fact I've already started working on one that deals with book to movie adaptations, so get excited! 

Time for the most important part of the Summer Read-a-thon: my page goal. In part 1 of this challenge, I completely demolished my goal of 1,500 pages, which was incredible. As much as I want to set the bar even higher, I've made the decision to keep that same goal of 1,500 pages this time around. I don't want to feel the pressure of a high page goal when I'm trying to read slowly and thoughtfully.

So you're wondering, what books will comprise this English major's summer reading? Well, dear reader that would be Arthurian Literature. Sophomore year I signed up for a Thomas Malory course on the spur of a moment when one of my other courses was cancelled. I didn't realize it then, but Le Morte d'Arthur has become the basis for most of my significant academic work at college. I've presented my papers at two Medieval and Renaissance Forums so far and I'm hoping to make this year my third attendance. In order to do that I'm taking an independent study where I'll be looking at some of Malory's source material and just exploring the Arthurian romances in general. In order to prepare for that and the academic fellow position I have for the Malory course, I have to get reading. 

The book that I'm starting off the Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 2 challenge with is entitled King Arthur's Death, which is a bind up of the Stanzaic Morte Arthur and the Alliterative Morte Arthure.

   
 I don't know about you, but my little grey cells are eager to get started thinking about this book. To all those who have already returned to school, I offer my sincere condolences. For those of us who still have a few moments of summer left to savor (and some no longer avoidable summer assignments to do) I hope you'll join me in another reading adventure. Until tomorrow, Best Wishes!!