Monday, July 7, 2014

Murder Mystery Monday #7

Welcome dear readers to another installment of my Murder Mystery Monday Series. I've been away for a while enjoying all of the better parts of summer including going to see Fall Out Boy and Paramore in concert on their Monumentour. It was a fabulous experience and the best concert I've been to so far. Now of course it's time to discuss another Agatha Christie book that I've recently read and that particular book is Endless Night by Agatha Christie.


For those unfamiliar with the book or if it has been a long time since you first read it, I'll whip up a quick and spoiler free summary. Endless Night is a story told from the point of view of Michael Rogers, a young man who has a ton of hopes and dreams for his life, but is hampered by the fact that he can't seem to find a job he likes and stick with it. One of Michael's dreams involves a particular piece of property called Gipsy's Acre that locals insist has a curse on it. Even with the rather cheap price of the property, there is no way that he can afford to own the land, that is until he meets an American heiress named Ellie. She quickly falls in love with both Michael and the property and shortly after her 21st birthday the two get married and she buys Gipsy's Acre. After having Michael's architect friend built an extravagant house on the land, the two move into the house. The only problem is that Ellie seems to be a bit more bothered by the curse than she initially let on.

Now as much as hate to do this I do have stop here and mention that from here on out there will be spoilers. It really is too difficult to even begin to talk about Endless Night without mentioning the most important part of the book. So if you don't want your future experience with this book to be spoiled it looks like your reading experience stops here.

So this particular book is really quite different from the run of the mill Agatha Christie's that I read the majority of the time. Those of you who have read Endless Night probably know what I'm talking about. The actual murder part of the book is really quite tame and in fact doesn't happen until one half or even 3/4ths of the way through. The majority of the plot isn't concerned with solving the murder and it reads a lot like a novel that deals mostly with the psychology of murder, particularly since we find out that Michael Rogers was the one to murder his wife and this book is essentially his written narrative after the fact.

Here Christie is so ingenious because as a rule the reader tends to completely trust the narrator. It takes a lot to realize that the narrator is often a truly unreliable. It's an even trickier literary device in the mystery genre because readers focus on the large number of secondary characters when building a list of suspects.

Nevertheless, I do have to say that the majority of the book is pretty boring because nothing much happens until the murder. In a shocking turn of events I found that I actually enjoyed the movie adaption more than I did the actual book. The weird thing is that the most recent adaption of Endless Night, which aired at the end of 2013 has been edited to include Miss Marple.

Pictured: Miss Marple, Ellie, and Michael

Granted I'm not sure I'm totally on board with the idea of including Miss Marple in this book. I have been noticing a trend lately with the newer Marple adaptions that the creators tend to stick her in books she wasn't originally part of. Another movie that immediately comes to mind is Why Didn't They Ask Evans? I can understand why they included her because it draws the audience's attention away toward the central investigative protagonist, which we can identify with, thus making the movie a more traditional murder mystery. As a result, it does chance the tone of the story from more of a psychological narrative to a more predictable one where the husband is of course the one to murder his wife. Although like I said earlier the movie has a lot more suspense and a more plot driven narrative.

That's about all I have to say in regards to Endless Night, so here ends another Murder Mystery Monday post. For those curious about what the next few posts from my blog will deal with I'm here to tell you that I'm planning on mixing things up a bit here on Myriad Novelations. While I will be continuing to work on the Jane Eyre Watch-a-thon, I've decided to have a bit more fun by adapting some tag videos from my favorite booktube users for this blog. It'll give you a chance to get to know more about the types of books I love to read and you can even contribute your own answers. Let's just say I'm so excited that I already started drafting a few of the posts! I'm looking forward to another amazing summer month of reading and I hope you are too. Best Wishes!!