Friday, July 25, 2014

July 2014 Book Haul

Hello readers and welcome back to another installment of the bibliophile with absolutely no self control where bookstores are concerned aka BOOK HAUL TIME!! Despite the fact that there are still plenty of books in my TBR pile, I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy some of the books I've had my eye on for a while. Today's haul is a bit of a mixed bag because I grabbed a couple of YA novels, a few adult novels, and even a middle grade book.


I think I'll start from the top of this awesome pile of books and work my way down.

The first book is actually the middle grade book that I mentioned earlier and it's Fyre by Angie Sage. It's the last book in a fantastic series of fantasy books. I remember starting this series somewhere around the end of middle school and it was one of the many series that I used to fill the Harry Potter void (those periods of time in between finishing the newest book and waiting for the next one to be released). The series follows the adventures of Septimus Heap, the seventh son of a seventh son, who becomes the apprentice to the ExtraOrdinary Wizard after discovering he has magical powers. Some time during the last year of high school and the first two years of college I completely forgot that I still had the last book in this series to finish. Nostalgia got the best of me today, so I made the ever embarrassing trip to the Children's section and hastily grabbed a copy.

The next book on my list is one I have been dying to get my hands on for such a long, long time. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su and Kate Rorick was the book I was determined to buy today. In fact when I first entered the bookstore, I immediately walked over to the YA section on a mission to find this book. When I didn't see it there I was so crushed, but thankfully I had the sense to check the fiction section and there it was!! Honestly, my love for the Lizzie Bennet Diaries has no bounds and I can't wait to finally read this book.

The next two books in my haul are the only John Green books I have yet to read. They are of course An Abundance of Katherines and Will Grayson, Will Grayson which he co-wrote with David Levithan. I have no doubt they will make great afternoon reads.

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson wasn't even a book I planned on buying when I went to bookstore. I actually noticed it while I was browsing the YA shelves and I remember hearing some great things about this book and the author in general. The synopsis sounded pretty amazing and I'm looking forward to a hopefully great fantasy/sci-fi read. 

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor was another impulse buy. About a year or two ago one of my college friends recommended the series to me and I never got around to reading it. Now I'm just excited to see what the author does with Alice in Wonderland.

Next, I bought Conversion by Katherine Howe, an author that hasn't let me down so far. I love stories about witchcraft and of course the tagline mentioned The Crucible, a play I loved reading in high school. 

The next book in my haul...well you had to know that I would buy this new release...is The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling). While I did have mixed feelings about The Cuckoo's Calling, I'm not willing to give up on Rowling's mystery endeavors just yet. I'm hoping Cormoran Strike will grow on me and that he'll do more than just incessantly complain about his prosthesis. 

The last book in my bookstore haul is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Up until a couple of months ago I'd never even heard about this book. Then when I found myself reading S by Doug Dorst and JJ Abrams, this book kept getting referenced in reviews and articles I read. I'm not really sure what kind of reading experience I'm in for with this book, but I'm hoping it will be just as exciting and innovative as S. 

That's all the books I have to share with you today and it looks like I have some eventful reading in my future. A few of these books might even get full reviews!! Random tangent, but is anyone else super excited for the new Agatha Christie: Poirot episodes coming up on Masterpiece Mystery? I'm really interested to see what they've done with The Big Four. That was probably the weirdest and most un-Poirot-like book I've read from Agatha Christie. I just might have to write a Murder Mystery Monday post about the movie and book. I hope you all have great weekend and as always, Best Wishes!