Wednesday, July 16, 2014

How I Read Tag!

Welcome back readers to another fabulous summer day! This past week I haven't really been in the mood to read any mystery novels, so I've decided to skip Murder Mystery Monday this week and do another tag post. This time I tackle questions related to how I read.

1) How do you find out about new books to read?
Generally I find out about new books from Goodreads. I like to look at lists that deal with the upcoming releases for whatever year it is. I also enter a lot of Goodreads giveaways and even if I don't win an ARC I still keep books that I'm really interested in on my "want to read" shelf. Occasionally, I go on to the Barnes and Nobles website and I take a look at the bookseller recommendations and the coming soon part of the website. Just recently I've been watching a lot of the book hauls posted on YouTube by booktubers and I make sure to keep track of any of the books that looked interesting. As you can probably tell, I'm always on the lookout for new books to read.

2) How did you get into reading?
Honestly, I feel like I've always been into reading. I can't really remember a time that I wasn't reading. That being said I've already talked about the exact moment that I started to love reading. If you're interested and I hope you are, you can read my earlier post entitled "The Birth of a Book Lover" here

3) How has your taste in books progressed as you've gotten older?
I wouldn't say my taste in books has progressed, but rather accumulated. With one exception, I've never stopped loving the book genres I loved when I was younger. In elementary school I really didn't have any favorite genres. I just kind of cherry picked until I discovered the awesome Magic Tree House series. Those books were my introduction to one of my favorite genres: fantasy.

From there I advanced to the much beloved Harry Potter Series and by middle school my love for the fantasy genre became cemented. To this day I still have fond memories of A Series of Unfortunate Events, the Leven Thumps Series, and the Inheritance Cycle. Sadly, my reading taste took a bit of a nosedive in my sophomore and junior year of high school. During that time I basically read exclusively YA books, but not just any YA books. I read all of the ones that had little character development, but a whole lot of love triangles. I remember vampire love triangles, fairy love triangles, wolf love triangles, witch love triangles, ghost love triangles, and angel love triangles. I think the reason why the presence of a love triangle in a book I'm reading now makes me so upset is because I've completely exhausted my tolerance for them in high school. Now my taste in books have shifted to more dystopian and contemporary YA fiction, thoughtful and intelligent adult fiction, and my current marathon read of all the Percy Jackson books shows that I still very much enjoy a great fantasy read.

4) How often do you buy books?
Usually I like to make trips to buy used books a least once a month, but whether or not I buy anything depends on the books the places have in stock. As far as new books are concerned I visit the bookstore pretty sporadically throughout the year, so it's never a consistent number. I can say that I always buy new books after Christmas and on my birthday.

5) How do you react when you don't like the end of a book?
How I react really depends on the book. If the book ends shockingly or with the death of a character that really made sense within the narrative I'm totally fine with that. Author's intent and all that business. If the book ends nonsensically I tend to get pretty angry. The worst is when I've been consistently displeased with the book throughout the entire reading experience and it comes to a disappointing end. When that happens books usually get thrown onto the floor or against the wall in anger.

6) How often do you take a look at the last page of a book before you finish it?
Never. You ruin the reading experience by doing that. Not to mention the fact that you no longer have any motivation to reach the end of the book.

That's all the questions I have for the How I Read Book Tag. I hoped you enjoyed learning a little bit more about me as a reader and I encourage you to answer some of these questions yourself. My next blog post will be a book review, so you should check back here in a day or two because I'm really excited to share my thoughts about this new book:) Best Wishes!!