Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1: Day 7 & Wrap Up

Well dear readers, a week full of reading has finally passed and I can definitely say that it was time well spent. While I only managed to completely read 4 books from my TBR pile, I'm still pretty happy with the results of my challenge because the books that I read had quite a number of pages.

First things first, I should let you know what I accomplished on the seventh and final day of the Summer Read-a-thon challenge. As you all should know by now, at the end of Day 6 I was in the middle of reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith and today I finally got around to finishing the book. That started my Day 7 total with 173 pages. Since I've already given some of my thoughts about The Cuckoo's Calling in my two previous posts, I'll refrain from doing so here except to say that the ending left me entirely confused and I'm not quite sure I liked how it played out. I know that statement is incredibly vague, but I hope to expand upon all of the opinions I've given about it in the near future. I'm planning on discussing this book in either a "Thoughts on..." post or in a Murder Mystery Monday post. I haven't decided quite yet, but I'm in no way finished with The Cuckoo's Calling.

The next book that I decided to pick up, which was purely motivated by my desire to find a lighter read, was Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore.


While I didn't manage to finish this book today, I did read 74 pages and that addition makes my Day 7 total 247 pages. Since I can't really give any opinions about Bitterblue so far because I'm not far enough along into it, I do want to express a little of my frustration about the timing of this book and the whole Graceling Realm series in general. While this book is technically the third in the series, its actual content makes it seem like this should have been the companion book released after Graceling. The problem is that this book was published four years after Graceling and for me personally it has been six years since I finished the first book. Needless to say I remembered nothing that occurred in Graceling or Fire. Another problem that I encountered, which I'm sure other readers did as well, is that these companion books are formatted differently from other companion series that I've read. Usually companion books branch off by utilizing an event or characters from the original series. The Graceling Realm series does do that, but also heavily relies on the minute politics of realm, which I only faintly remembered after reading the Wikipedia summaries for the first two books. All of my complaining aside, I'm excited to see how Bitterblue's story plays out.

Now time to wrap up this week long reading adventure. After adding up the page counts for all seven days, I'm excited to announce that my overall page total for the Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1 is...1,911 pages!!! I consider that to be one successful week of reading.

Even though this week is over I will obviously continue to read as many books as I possibly can, which includes finishing Bitterblue. In the coming days you can expect to see plenty more posts on this blog. I already have a Jane Eyre Watch-a-thon post in the works and I'll be posting my full review of The Quick by Lauren Owen. You can also look forward to my new "Thoughts on..." posts and I'll be resuming my Murder Mystery Mondays. (Shameless moment of self promotion) Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for more amazing updates and random book related thoughts @Penny_Landon. I hope that you enjoyed this week long series and if so, don't forget that I'll be doing it again near the end of August. Happy Reading and as always, Best Wishes!!