Monday, June 16, 2014

Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1: Day 6 (and updates about my book reviews)


Hello again all of my book savvy readers! Day 6 of my Summer Read-a-thon challenge has come to an end and as always I'm here to update you about my progress. While I initially planned on having another uneventful day where I would have plenty of time to read, my plans completely changed. Instead I had a fabulous day with my family and had a cookout full of hilarious conversation and good food. As much as I encourage myself and even you to spend time reading a great book, sometimes real life experiences are far better than anything you can find within the pages of a book.

That being said, the moment that I got home I picked up The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith and started reading, so the day wasn't a complete wash. 
    
In the time that I had left before midnight I managed to read 76 pages, which brings my overall challenge total up to 1,664 pages. Since I really didn't read that much more today, I don't have a whole lot to say as far as new opinions related to the book. I do have to admit though that I'm starting to think some of my previous opinions might change by the conclusion of the book. Slowly, I mean very slowly details are revealed about Cormoran's life and he is gradually becoming a more fleshed out character. The plot is also picking up a bit more now, but the majority of the action is still grounded in numerous conversations between characters. 

Like last time I don't want to leave you with an incredibly short post, so I decided that now would be the opportune moment to talk to you about some changes regarding my book reviews. As I've said before and will probably say again the core of any book blog is the quality and quantity of book reviews. I personally don't feel like I post enough book reviews and often I read a number of great books that I never get around to posting about. As much as I would like to post full and in depth reviews about every book that I read, often I really just don't feel like reviewing a book. Sometimes a book is so terrible that thinking about it for another second puts me in a terrible mood and sometimes I love a book so much that I have a huge problem coming up with concrete points that explain why I liked it. Needless to say a lot of books with plenty of potential go undiscussed. I've come up with a genius plan to remedy this problem.

For those wondering I'll still be posting plenty of in-depth book reviews, but those books that I don't want to do a formal review for will be featured in a new blog post series called "Thoughts on..." Similar to my full reviews, I'll be providing all of the information related to the book (title, author, pg #, and the book blurb), but the difference will be that the review section won't be as meticulously structured or as detailed. It will essentially just be the thoughts that I had about the book right after I finished reading it. The posts will be shorter, but you'll know exactly what I thought about the book and you won't have to wait around for a couple of weeks while I try and find the time to organize a detailed book review. Recently I read The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz and Cress by Marissa Meyer and at the time I really didn't feel like posting in depth reviews of either of them for various reasons. I still think that those two books deserve to be talked about, so I'm planning on using them to start my "Thoughts on..." series after I wrap up the Summer Read-a-thon.

Now back to the topic at hand. Tomorrow will be the final day of the Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1 challenge and I've set aside the entire day to get as much reading done as I possibly can. At this point I'm obviously no longer concerned with meeting my page goal (because I already have), but I really want to read as many books as I possibly can from my TBR pile. I hope you'll join me on this final stretch of reading and as always Best Wishes!!