Saturday, June 14, 2014

Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1: Day 4

Greetings fellow earthlings who enjoy reading a good book now and then! (I don't know, just trying to keep the intros interesting) Anyway, today marks the end of the fourth day in my Summer Read-a-thon 2014 challenge where I, of course, continued to read as many pages as possible in a one week period. Even after sleeping in rather late, I managed to finish a large quantity of pages. As you may recall from yesterday's post I started reading The Diviners by Libba Bray.


Well, today I sat down for a huge chunk of time and managed to completely finish the book. As a result, the page total for the day so far is at an astonishing 320 pages. I found that I really enjoyed this book, but sadly I have to rescind one of the comments/praises I made about the plot yesterday. Right near the end of the novel a love triangle does develop and there is the suggestion that it will grow to be a more central part of the story in the sequel. Needless to say I'm really disappointed because this book has such a strong female protagonist that I sincerely hope doesn't get stuck ping ponging between two different men. I guess I'll have to find out in the sequel. Aside from that I stick true to all of the opinions I had yesterday. The 1920s setting did outweigh the plot through most of the story, but in a surprising turn of events I really enjoyed the multiple points of view. The narrative voices were differentiated enough that I didn't end up confused and those chapters helped to develop the numerous secondary characters. I think this book has all of the great foundational elements to make an enjoyable series.

My reading exploits for the day didn't end there. After I finished The Diviners, I had about an hour and a half left before midnight and I decided to pick up The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).

Some of you may remember that I started reading this book forever ago. I think it was sometime around Christmas. The problem was that I started the book about a day or two before I went back to college and I never had the time to pick it back up again. Since it's been so long, I decided to just start the book from the beginning. In the time that I had left I managed to finish 65 pages, which makes the complete total for Day 4 an astounding 385 pages! For those curious about my overall total for the entire challenge with the addition of these pages, you'll be excited to find that I'm now up to 1,447 pages. That's only 3 pages away from my 1,500 goal, which shouldn't be hard to manage.

As always I don't want to really say anything about The Cuckoo's Calling for now because I'm not far enough along into it to have any fully formed opinions. That being said I'm really interested to see what Rowling can do in the Mystery genre. If it's any good I might just have to pick up the sequel in a month or so.

Well, that's all I have to say about Day 4 and in lieu of an incredibly cheesy ending sentence, I'll leave you with this awesome ending gif. Best Wishes!