Monday, June 9, 2014

Announcing the Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1

Hello again dear readers! Today appears to be another fabulous day for announcements and this one is particularly exciting. A couple of posts back I talked about the idea of doing two Summer Read-a-thons to celebrate the beginning and the end of summer in true book lover fashion. Truth be told this is also another way that I can decrease the size of my rather large TBR pile. If you haven't already guessed by now I'm going through with that plan and I'm here to announce the beginning of a week long challenge to read as many pages (and of course as many books) as I possibly can within a short period of time.

Those familiar with my blog will remember I created this challenge late last summer when I desperately wanted to read a few more fun books before starting my college assignments. The same can definitely be said for this summer where I'm currently endeavoring to avoid all of the books I need to read to prepare for my independent study this coming fall. If you're curious about those adventures and what books I managed to finish, you can find those posts listed on the sidebar under August, 2013.

Now onto the details of the first part in my two part Summer Read-a-thon Challenge 2014!! Like I previously stated, the challenge will last a week and officially starts at midnight tonight and will continue until Monday, June 16th at midnight. I will of course be providing you with updates every day which will detail what books I've chosen to read and how many pages I finished in that particular 24 hour period. I apologize for all of those early birds out there, but the posts detailing the day's events will go live sometime after midnight each day. I don't want to spend precious reading time drafting my rather amazing blog posts. Depending on the content of the books and whether or not I feel inspired, I might write full reviews on some of the books I've finished. Additionally, I know for a long time I've felt rather disappointed that my Murder Mystery Monday posts have died out, so I'm hoping to bring those back this summer too.

I can't forget the most important part of this challenge and that is my overall page goal for this week long event. Last summer I underestimated the number of pages I could actually read, so this year I really want to make it challenging for me. I've decided that my personal goal for the Summer Read-a-thon 2014 Part 1 will be 1,500 pages!!          

For those of the curious sort, the first book that I decided to kick off my challenge with is The Quick by Lauren Owen.

This book currently won't be released to the public until June 17th, but I was lucky enough to win a copy of it from the wonderful people over at Random House through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway program. I can guarantee that this will be one of the books that will merit a full review during the week long challenge. I'm excited to get started on this book, which has been listed under my currently reading tab when in reality I've actually been avoiding it to read other books. I will be biding my time until midnight tonight and then in true night owl fashion I hope to get about 100 pages read in the early hours of the morning. 

So, does any of this sound intriguing? Have you been experiencing a reading slump? Well, I encourage you to participate with me! Give yourself a personal page goal as small or as large as you feel comfortable with. Then, get to reading. Feel free to share your progress here or on Twitter:) I'll be back tomorrow at midnight to share my Day 1 progress, but until then...Best Wishes!!