Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Goodreads Tag!!!

As many of you know I love to watch book reviewers on Youtube (collectively known as Booktube) and as much as I like those videos I prefer the blog format for my own thoughts. That being said I always enjoy the tag videos that they do once in a while, so I figured why not do another one of them on my own blog. I've also been preparing some in depth reviews lately that take a lot of thought and time and I just wanted to do a more lighthearted post. I finally decided to do The Goodreads Tag! As you can tell from the widgets on my sidebar, I actively use my Goodreads account, so I'm pretty excited to answer all of these questions.

1. What was the last book you marked as "read"?



The last book that I marked as "read" was I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak. I had been meaning to read this book for a number of years because I read The Book Thief and I loved it so so much. It was so easy to emotionally connect with that book and I really wanted to know what the reading experience would be for I Am The Messenger. I wasn't in the mood to do a detailed review of the book, but for all those wondering I did give it a 4 star review. Honestly, this book has a completely different reading experience from The Book Thief. It felt a little more YA in tone and it centered on a 19 year old male protagonist named Ed Kennedy that is basically stuck in life. He helps to stop a bank robber and later receives a playing card in the mail with three addresses written on it. That's where the adventure begins. I would highly recommend that you pick up this book.

2. What are you "Currently Reading"?

This answer shouldn't come as a shock to most of you because I always try to keep my currently reading section on this blog up to date. I've marked Cress by Marissa Meyer and The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) as "Currently Reading." I'm actually only actively reading Cress at the moment. I started Rowling's book a couple of months ago during a break and haven't managed to find the time to continue reading it. I can say that both of them are off to intriguing starts and I'm hoping that I'll have some free-time this upcoming term to finish them before summer vacation.

3. What is the last book you marked as "To Be Read"?


 That would be Paper Towns by John Green. As I've mentioned numerous times I'm a huge fan of his Youtube channel Vlogbrothers and I've always felt guilty for not having read his novels. Recently I read both The Fault in Our Stars and Looking For Alaska and I LOVED them. Now that I know I'm a fan of his writing style I want to read all of the books he's written. Paper Towns is the next book on my list to read.

4. What book do you plan on reading next?



To tell you the truth for the past couple of weeks I've been obsessing over this book S by Doug Dorst and J.J. Abrams. One of my amazing friends gave me a Barnes and Nobles gift card for my birthday and I just bought this book. It hasn't come in the mail yet, but when it does I will be setting aside whatever I'm doing to read it. I found out about S through one of the booktubers I watch and this basically encapsulates my reaction.


This book has one primary story called The Ship of Theseus and then another whole story is told through the annotations in the margins. There are also random inserts in the book that contribute to the layered storyline.




It sounds like a lot of gimmicks, but I don't think I've ever been more excited for a book!

5. Do you use the star rating system?

I do, in fact, use the star rating system. I think it's just an easy, universal way to let others know what you thought about the book. I know sometimes I'm just not in the mood to write out a full review, so I'll just rate the book using the star system. I also look at the star rating when I'm considering buying a random book from Barnes and Nobles that I know nothing about. My only problem with the system is that it really needs the ability to mark half stars. Often I'll mark a book with 3 stars when I really thought it deserved 2.5 stars because I don't want to under-represent my thoughts about the book. 

6. Are you doing a 2014 reading challenge?

I am doing a reading challenge for this year. If you're interested in my progress so far I have a widget on the left hand side. My current goal is 80 books, which is five more than I read last year. I've learned that the great part about being an English Lit major is you are always constantly reading something. This explains why one week I'll be reading a YA book and the next I'll be reading an obscure classic novel. 

7. Do you have a Wish List?

I actually don't have a wish list. I feel like a wish list comes with the expectation that people should buy you the items on that list and I don't like to put that kind of pressure on people. Additionally, the books that I want to own constantly fluctuate and I would rather my friends and family give me a bookstore gift card. With the card I can make a number of decisions about what books I have to own at that moment. I also probably wouldn't refer to the list that often. Whenever I'm shopping I like to look at the books they have right out in the open and then I refer to my "to be read" list when I don't know what to buy.

8. What book do you plan to buy next?


I want to buy Towering by Alex Flinn next and I think that I might do that as soon as the paperback gets released. I've enjoyed Flinn's writing since I discovered Beastly in high school. I'm a sucker for a book that reworks fairytale characters. 

9. Do you have favorite quotes on Goodreads?

I do keep a list of some of my favorite quotes on Goodreads, but it by no means represents all of my favorite quotes. I actually keep a separate journal of some of the quotes I've liked over the years and I haven't got around to liking them on Goodreads. Recently whenever I come across a great quote in a book I'll make sure to find it on Goodreads. Right now I'm really in love with this quote from The Fault in Our Stars: "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations." Another quote that I love, which I actually made my senior quote is from Katharine Hepburn, my favorite actress: "If you always do what interests you at least one person is pleased." 

10. Who are your favorite authors?

This is such a difficult question!! I love Agatha Christie, all of the Bronte sisters (my favorite is Charlotte though), Christopher Pike, Meg Cabot, Roald Dahl, Jane Austen, Dan Brown, Richelle Mead, JK Rowling...the list could really go on, but I think I'll cut myself off here.

11. Have you joined any groups?

No, I actually haven't joined any groups, but I've been considering it lately. I'm just not sure which groups to join and what they function as. Are they like books clubs? Is it just a convenient forum to talk about books? If it's like a book club I know that I would never be able to keep up considering most of my time is filled with my college activities.

That's all the questions I have to answer for the tag. If you like to read and haven't created an account on Goodreads, you should definitely consider it. Best Wishes!