Thursday, April 10, 2014

April Book Haul!!

Wow has it really been a whole month already?! Well it has and thankfully my college finals are finished. Now I'll actually have some time to read all of these books I keep buying. For the astute reader, you may remember I mentioned that I had a book review in the works and I haven't forgotten about that statement. I'm almost done writing up the review and it should be posted within the next two days (for real this time). In the meantime you can read about all of the books that I bought this month. YAY! This particular haul has a mixture of new, used, and free books because why limit yourself to one book source. Sooooooo let's get started:


(Sidenote how cool is that box! Maybe it's just the band nerd inside of me that loves it so much)
How about I start from the top of the book stack and make my way down.

The first book as you can tell is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Like every other teenager, I had to read this in my high school English class and I loved it so much. It's actually quite shocking that I hadn't owned a copy before I bought this one used. One of these days I'll have to pick this book up again and give it a reread.

The second book on the list is N or M? by Agatha Christie and it's actually a book that doesn't feature Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple. It stars her lesser known sleuths Tommy and Tuppence Beresford and I think this is the only book featuring them that I haven't read yet. 

The next book that I decided to buy is The Big Four by Agatha Christie and I'm actually really excited to read it. From what I can tell from the book blurb this is a series of short stories featuring Poirot, but there are four villains in the book...hence its name.

An Agatha Christie Chronology by Nancy Blue Wynne is the next book in my stack and while it does really remind me of the Agatha Christie Secret Notebooks by John Curran, I decided to buy it anyway. I think it will be nice to spend an hour or two rediscovering the plots of all the Agatha Christie's I've read so far.

The next book on my list is a little bit of a let down, but in all honesty it is partly my fault. For those of you interested in reading more than one of Christie's novels, I would just like to warn you that many of her books are published under alternative titles. The book I have here 13 at Dinner was also published under the title Lord Edgware Dies, which I have read and do own a copy of. Still, I think I'll keep this alternative copy for my collection of books.

The last Agatha Christie book that I bought this month is called They Came to Baghdad. The book blurb on my copy is a little vague about actual plot details, but I'm sure that this will be another great read.

This next book was an impulse buy because I really just want to read a hilarious book. This particular one is called Nightlight, a parody of the book Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

The next two books I will talk about together because they're both by the same author. I was lucky enough to receive the book Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford for free through the Goodreads First Reads giveaways and while the plot sounded interesting I haven't actually read any of Ford's other work. When I saw this copy of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet I just had to buy it. Depending upon my reading schedule this week I should have a review up of the Songs book soon.

The last three are books that I actually purposely went to the bookstore to buy because I was so tired of hearing about how awesome they were from other people and that fact I couldn't contribute to the conversation. The first is called I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak and I've been wanting to read this for some time now because I LOVED The Book Thief so much. I can only hope that this book is as good as his first.

Next in the pile is The Diviners by Libba Bray. I honestly didn't even need to know what this book was about because the moment I heard it was by Libba Bray I just had to have it. Everything I've read by her is so fantastic that I'm pretty sure this book is a safe bet.

Last, but most certainly not least is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green....I know I'm like the only person on the face of the planet that hasn't read this book and I feel soooooo guilty about it. I actually first became familiar with John Green through his Youtube channel Vlogbrothers and for years now I have happily called myself a nerdfighter. The only problem is while there really are no qualifications for being a nerdfighter, I've felt terrible about never having read any of John's books. All I can say is that is about to change very soon.

That is sadly all of the books that I've bought this month. If you are interested in what I have to say about them remember to look out for some upcoming reviews on this blog and maybe check out my goodreads account. With that, I'll just say Best Wishes!