Thursday, March 6, 2014

March Book Haul

Books! Books everywhere! Well not exactly, but I did find some time this term to head to the bookstore and get some books that I have been dying to read (my college is weird; we don't have semesters). It took a lot of self control and a little bit of in store calculating, but I managed to pick up five books. I will only be sharing four of the books that I bought because later in the week I'll shall be reviewing the fifth book and I want it to be a little of a surprise:) With that is mind how about you meet the fancy new books that will be taking up most of my time during spring break.

The first book in my book haul stack is called Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. I'm a regular watcher of some booktubers who all had some really fantastic things to say about this book. Essentially it is about a man who works at a bookstore where there are some mysterious goings-on. Any novel that is centered around a bookstore immediately draws me in, probably because I'm such a book nerd.

The second book that I bought is called Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I've never actually read any other books by her, but at one point this particular book was in a goodreads giveaway that I entered and despite not winning the giveaway, I haven't been able to stop thinking about how great this story sounds. The book chronicles the life of Ursula Todd who repeatedly dies and is reborn I'm assuming. This novel seemed perfect because lately my taste in books has been shifting more towards the adult genre. I think I've just been getting a little tired of YA fiction love triangles and weak female protagonists (more on that later). That being said I still picked up some YA obviously as you can tell from the earlier picture. It's a genre that I haven't completely given up nor do I think I ever will. 

The next book that is in my haul is the one book that motivated me to go to the bookstore because I just HAD TO HAVE IT. 

This was me at the end of Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and luckily I didn't have to wait that long for Cress which is now in my possession. I just have to find out what happens with Cinder and I'm excited to see how Meyer will continue to morph fairy-tale figures into some fantastic dystopian characters.

The last book in this particular haul is Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this series and for some reason I'm one of those people that just can't give up on a series or book after I've started. While I would have preferred to get this book used, I caved and bought it anyway. I've managed to stay away from spoilers so far, but I have heard talk that this particular book has some shocking events play out. Even if I manage not to like Allegiant at least I can confidently tell the million and one people who ask me if I've read this series that yes, yes I have read the Divergent series.  

While this is technically a book haul there is one more thing that I just had to share because I'm so excited about it. 

Normally I'm not one of those people that buys stationary, but of course since this is book related I couldn't resist. It is actually a thank you card that resembles the pockets that they put in the back of library books. The package that I bought has 10 of these in it and now I'm just waiting for a reason to send someone a thank you card!  

As much as I wish that I had more books or random items to share that is all that I bought and I'm so looking forward to having some free time to read. Well I'm off to do all of the homework that I've been procrastinating on because college books don't read themselves. Remember to check back in a couple of days for a brand new book review that should be posted sometime in the coming week and as always best wishes!