Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Read-a-thon

As much as I'd hate to realize, the end of summer is upon us and as I look on at my to be read pile I get a little disappointed that it isn't substantially smaller. Sadly, it's also the time that my textbooks for this next term of college come in and I get to see all of the books that I'll be reading instead of my awesome books in the TBR pile. Let's just say I'm not looking forward to reading basically everything D.H. Lawrence has ever written.

I've also hit what some of you may recognize as the reading slump. Sometimes in even some of the most devoted readers there comes a time when you just don't feel like reading and instead choose to do something else. Lately I've taken to playing video games and watching a lot of tv, but I figure it's about time for my reading slump to end. In order to do this and make as big a dent in my TBR pile as possible before the end of August, I've decided to do a Summer Read-a-thon!

The conditions are quite simple. The Read-a-thon will last for an entire week starting today and ending the 12th. My goal during this week is to read at least 1,200 pages and with any luck I will read more than that. I also plan on reading at least two mystery novels and doing an extra large Murder Mystery Monday post because I've neglected to do one for the past couple of weeks and I feel a little guilty about that.

I will also be posting daily updates about my progress and maybe even some reviews of the books I've read. The other day I decided that this really can't be a great book blog without some in depth reviews of some of the stuff that I've been reading. So I will be adding those to the mix of the random assortment of book related stuff I like to discuss here in the near future.

The first book that I'll be reading is Emma by Jane Austen. I've seen a couple movie adaptions of this book and I've always felt guilty about not having read it, so what a perfect time to finally get around to finishing it. In other completely coincidental news, the makers of the awesome Lizzie Bennet Diaries has announced that their next vlog will be based off of Emma!!! The great thing is that by the time the first episode comes out I will have finished the book. I'm already 170 pages in so I wont be counting those towards my total page count for the challenge.

If you love this idea, then do it with me. There is nothing quite as satisfying as reading a book that has been sitting around collecting dust. Well I am off to do some reading before bed. Best Wishes!