Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer Read-a-thon: Day 4

Finally!!! With the arrival of this day I am more than halfway done with my summer reading challenge, which is a welcome milestone.

At the start of this day, I was completely convinced that I wouldn't get around to finishing Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter but in the last 30 minutes before midnight I mustered enough resolve to complete it. My wording of the previous statement should indicate that I really didn't get much enjoyment from this novel. In a word it was boring. Something that should no doubt shock those upon reading the title.

Before I get to my final opinions, let me reveal the page counts for Day 4. I finally completed the book, which added up to 170 pages read today. This brings my overall total up to 1241 pages...thus completing the goal that I set for the full week!!!!!!!


I figured the triumphant Sybil gif would be perfect for this moment :) Despite reaching my goal, I will, of course, continue to read until the end of Day 7 at midnight...and then keep reading because I like to read and don't need an excuse to do so.

So in regards to the book I read today, my overall opinion is that it reads like a biography without the truthfulness of one, which is such a waste of time. The true enjoyment of reading a biography is learning interesting facts about a person's life. Here I would read along and come across something interesting not connected with the vampire part of the plotline and find myself questioning whether or not it actually occurred. It comes as no shock that the author gleaned most of his information from the internet, particularly Wikipedia, which any teacher or student can tell you is the worst resource to rely on even if it is a work of fiction.

I did however get some enjoyment out of the illustrations in the book. They were so hilariously photoshopped that it made me chuckle once or twice. As a whole I didn't hate the book, but I found that I didn't love it either. It was a solid medium that I will probably never read again. Luckily, I paid less than a dollar for it at a used book sale, so I have no regrets on that front.

While I haven't begun another book just yet, my plan is to start Dead Man's Folly by Agatha Christie either later on tonight or in the morning. So until tomorrow...Best Wishes!