Friday, August 9, 2013

Summer Read-a-thon: Day 3

Welcome to the end of Day 3 in the Summer Read-a-thon challenge, which incidentally might actually be the shortest coverage of any of the days. As you know from yesterdays post I had just started Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith and I continued to read the same book today.

While I didn't manage to finish it quite yet I did however read 116 pages. With those sparse, but still well needed pages I end Day 3 with an overall total of 1071 pages!!!

Having just about reached the halfway point of this novel I do have to say that I find it rather boring for some reason. The storyline isn't catching me and that is probably one of the reasons why I didn't actually finish it today. I do have to say that the integration of vampires into Lincoln's history is done in such a way that isn't ludicrous or lacking in taste. I was worried that it would tend towards that direction and thankfully it didn't. I just wish the plot would get a little more exciting and have a central conflict.

Depending on whether or not this book turns out to be a great read I might watch the movie adaption. It's a Tim Burton film and I always love his work.

I know this is a post about my reading, but I'd like to stray a little considering that this is a short post with plenty more room to fill up. Confession time. The other reason I didn't find myself finishing this book is because I did in fact start watching Downton Abbey. All I can say is WOW!! Why didn't I start watching this ages ago. Every episode just sucks you in with all its drama and the episode cliffhangers are so well done that I find myself immediately watching the next one.

I do have to applaud Hugh Bonneville. He plays patriarchs of period families so well. I'm glad he didn't stop after playing Mr. Bennet. I would also like to say that Sybil is my favorite character with the Dowager Countess following a close second. When Sybil came out in that awesome outfit I became the weirdo yelling "You go girl" at my computer screen. I also love how she is determined to get that poor maid a secretary position. In addition, who knew good ol' McGonagall was so feisty!

I would tell you that I will get right back to reading after publishing this post, but that would be lying. I'll probably be finishing the first season of Downton Abbey tonight. If you haven't seen it, I would urge you to take the plunge...and do some reading of course :)