Friday, July 19, 2013

Used Book Haul #2 and The Worst Time of the Year

I told you there would be another book haul and here we are:) I just love books. You really can't have enough of them. If you're sitting there wondering "Where is the Pride and Prejudice review? You promised." I have some news! My next installment will be up tomorrow! I've already started writing it and I'm excited for you to see it. It would have been up today, but I want it to be intelligent, entertaining, and perfect. All of which takes time, especially when I have so much to say. So until then you will have to deal with my book buying escapades, so without further ado here is my latest book haul.


Not a bad haul if I do say so myself. Let me introduce you to my future book friends...or foes whatever the case may be.

In The Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson: The minute that I finished The Devil in the White City I just knew I had to read this book. I made a note of it was determined to buy it full price the next time I had a little extra money and then I went used book shopping. The minute I saw this it was like the clouds parted and angels singed and I experienced a miracle. I snatched it off the shelves and did my happy dance. As the title suggests this is all about Hitler and WWII. I've already started it, but sadly I had to set it aside. I will explain later in my post.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger: I'll just get it out there and say I have never read this book. It guilts me everyday to know that I have never read it. It was never taught to me in high school nor have I studied it in college so far. Now that I have a copy I will in fact read it and stop feeling like a bad English major.

 The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer: I have actually read and studied a large majority of the tales in this book and I will continue to next semester. Woo. This particular edition has some pretty amazing illustrations inside which convinced me to buy my own copy.

Middlemarch by George Eliot: Eliot is another author that I've been kicking myself for having not read. I saw this copy and had to buy it. Once I get a free moment this book will be read and the guilt will be gone.

The Twelfth Enchantment by David Liss: I picked this book up solely based on its blurb. I love a good mystery novel with a female protagonist and I hope it will be a great afternoon read.

The Golden Ball and Other Stories by Agatha Christie: I read this book in 6th grade when I first discovered Christie and read every book by her that the classroom library had. I haven't put this book away in my book boxes because I don't really remember what happened in the stories. It has been so long and I've read so many books since then that I can't in all honesty say I've read it or take it out of my to be read pile.

There is a Tide... by Agatha Christie: When I found this particular Christie, which I haven't got around to reading, I snatched it up and added it to my reading pile. Maybe it will make an appearance on a Murder Mystery Monday in the future, who knows:)

Mr. Darcy's Daughters and The Exploits & Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy by Elizabeth Aston: I was obviously drawn to these books because it carries on the story of Lizzie and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. The story revolves around their daughters and their lives. I'm excited to see how the author carries on Austen's story.

With those last two titles the book haul portion of this post has ended and the whole "Worst Time of the Year" part shall commence. You are probably wondering why this time is so bad. It's the summer. No school!! I would like all the high schoolers and unlucky college students to join me in groaning over SUMMER READING ASSIGNMENTS. There is just something about assigned reading that makes me all sad inside. If you keep track of my updates you will see that I am in fact starting to read the Bedier version of The Romance of Tristan and Iseult.

Normally I don't start my summer reading until the beginning of August. There is a science behind it. The start of August is early enough that I'm not reading at the last minute and there is plenty of time to take notes, but it is not too early that I forget all of the details.

I convinced myself to read the first book in my summer reading because in a couple of days I will be heading back to college to help with freshman orientation! I'm of course being a little paranoid because there is a slight chance I might run into the professor that assigned the books I have to read and I know said professor will ask my opinion about them...so yeah I shall be taking a break from fun reading:( On the plus side the print is large and the pages are few.

I do have to say that because of my leaving for orientation, I will be away from my computer and unfortunately this blog. My Murder Mystery Monday post this coming Monday will be my last post for about a week. When I do return home to enjoy the rest of my summer vacation I will be planning on watching the last Pride and Prejudice adaption and doing my review. So if you have summer reading, get on that. No procrastinating :p Best Wishes!!