Friday, June 28, 2013

Bookshelf Scavenger Hunt

I've watched this rather entertaining concept on many YouTube videos of book vloggers and I had the hugest desire to do it myself. I figured I may not be great in videos, but I have a wonderful blog and a camera so why not.

This is technically not a "bookshelf" hunt because I recently moved to a smaller home without any bookshelves :( I did at one time have a wonderful bookcase, but it was old and wouldn't have survived the move.



Now my most prized possessions are in a bunch of boxes, which I think made this challenge ten times more difficult. Now for the one person who doesn't know what a bookshelf scavenger hunt is you just have a specific list of books to find on your bookshelves or in my case the six large boxes currently taking up almost an entire closet. Now onto the hunt!!!


Find:

  • Book where the title or author's name has a Z in it
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova - Awesome book, awesome author and would totally recommend it!

  • A Classic
Of course my chosen classic would be my well loved and marked up copy of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

  • Book with a key on it

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe - It took me forever to find a book with a key and I was completely shocked this even had one on it...and of course the minute I found it like two seconds later I found three other books with keys on them sigh.

  • Something on your shelf that isn't a book
I did have this model car on my bookshelf along with a bunch of knick knacks. I got it for my 16th birthday from my parents who jokingly remarked that even though I couldn't get a real car I still deserved to own one.



  • Oldest book or books in my case

I decided to go by the publishing date of the editions that I own versus the book I've owned the longest or when the book was first published. The first is an Agatha Christie omnibus containing So Many Steps to Death, Death Comes as the End, and Evil Under the Sun. This was published in 1965. The other book is Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw. If you have seen the movie My Fair Lady, you really should read the play it was adapted from because it was enjoyable and ended differently than the movie. If you haven't seen the movie, you should RIGHT NOW...or after you're done reading my post :) The publishing date on this was rather confusing and it was published either in the 50s or 60s.

  • Book(s) with a girl on the cover


It seems every YA book published nowadays has a cover with a girl wearing a glamorous gown that has nothing to do with the plotline, so this part of the hunt was incredibly easy...and I couldn't pick just one. The first picture is of A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson. I absolutely love Ibbotson and as a child I read a bunch of her fantasy novels. When I found out she wrote some YA I bought up all of them and this was one of my favorites. The second book is Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead. This is the last book in her Vampire Academy Series, which is incredible and probably one of the only good series to come out of the vampire craze. The first book is being made into a movie that I'm so excited to watch.

  • Book with an animal in it

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George was a favorite book from my childhood and has a peregrine falcon named Frightful in it, which is waaaaayyyyy cooler than any old dog or cat.

  • Book with a male protagonist

Code Orange by Caroline B. Cooney has a male protagonist with the strange name: Mitty Blake.

  • Book with only words on the cover

Some people who did this hunt had a hard time with this one, but luckily I had the Barnes & Nobles edition of one of my favorite Shakespeare plays Twelfth Night

  • Book with illustrations


I immediately went to my Roald Dahl collection for this and got one of my favorites: George's Marvelous Medicine. The awesome and hilarious illustrations for this book and every other Dahl book are due to the talents of Quentin Blake.
  • Book with gold lettering
BEHOLD!! My fancy and well-loved copy of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Yes, be slightly jealous.

  • Diary (true or fictional)
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl - An incredibly sad and touching true diary of Anne Frank during the Holocaust. Everyone really should read it.

  • Book written by an author with a common last name
Night World No.1 by L.J. Smith, which is the first of three omnibuses of her Night World series

  • Book with a close-up of something on it

Many people used The Host by Stephenie Meyer, which I do own, but I wanted to be different...well it isn't that different considering the cover shots are basically identical. I chose Until the End by Christopher Pike. This is an omnibus of the Final Friends trilogy he published earlier.

  • Book that takes place in the earliest time period

Ahh the two books I've studied the most so far in college and will continue to next term. I should basically just permanently attach them to myself for convenience purposes.  They are both editions of Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory and are about King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table. The difference is that the book on the left is the original material untranslated that I lovingly refer to as Vinaver (who is the editor). The one on the right is the translated and condensed version edited by Baines. To get an idea of the difference between the two take a look at some of Vinaver.
Pretty serious stuff huh. Not to brag or anything, but I did write a pretty awesome term paper on this material and presented it with quotes spoken in the medieval dialect at a Medieval and Renaissance forum. INTELLIGENCE! Anyway, Malory completed this in 1470, but his source material and the Arthurian stories in general take place earlier than that. So this is rather old to say the least.

  • Hardcover without a jacket

  
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling - I lent this copy to my brother and he managed to completely destroy the dust jacket...oh brothers.

  • Teal/Turquoise colored book(s)
I couldn't choose just one so first I grabbed The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. This book is really a thinking book. You can't just pick it up for a quick afternoon read and why would you want to since it's so great. Plath's poetry is something you should also check out. Whenever I need to write a poetry analysis paper I always browse through hers first because you can get so much meaningful stuff out of them. *Girl in random dress alert* This YA book, Unearthly, is the first book in an enjoyable series by Cynthia Hand that you should check out as well.

  • Book with stars on it


I had a pretty big Sabrina the Teenage Witch phase when I was younger and own about 15 or so of these books all with this fancy star border.


  • Non-YA book
I own a ton of non-YA books, but Inferno by Dan Brown was the book that immediately popped into my head when I thought about this hunt. Awesome read that you should consider.



ANNNNDDDDD with that my bookshelf scavenger hunt is finally over. It was a lot of work, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not to mention it was a great way to show off only a few of the numerous books in my personal collection.